Sandia National Laboratories Classification Technical Reviewer (Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you are a highly motivated individual with a technical background, strong attention to detail and a passion for national security? Are you interested in becoming a key resource for all of Sandia and being able to influence how classification guidance is written? Then you may be interested in applying as a Classification Technical Reviewer in support of information protection activities.
On any given day you may be called upon to:
- Utilize skills, experience, and knowledge of key national security issues to evaluate scientific advances, technologies, and programmatic assets. Ensure the proper classification and protection of national security interests and prevent inadvertent release of sensitive and classified information.
- Consult with mission organizations in the role of subject matter expert on classification issues in subject areas associated with classified and unclassified controlled information and make derivative classification determinations.
- Develop local classification guidance for technical and nontechnical information and support the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and other agencies in developing and implementing classification and Unclassified Controlled Information (UCI) guidance.
- Coordinate with the DOE/NNSA classification communities and other federal agencies as necessary.
- Develop subject area classification training for laboratory management and staff on classification basics.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or other related STEM field, plus five or more years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE-Q level security clearance
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or other related STEM field
- Technical background and substantial experience in the development or evaluation of nuclear weapons, or any of Sandia's numerous Strategic Partnership Projects. Technically competent in the subject area(s) in which classification authority will be used.
- Strong technical oral and written communication skills.
- Proven experience working with classified and/or sensitive information.
- Ability to perform independent technical analysis, providing technical consultation to staff, management or customers.
- Experience performing work in a rigorous regulatory environment including interpreting and applying regulations.
- Experience as a Derivative Classifier or Derivative Declassifier in the DOE Defense Programs or DoD communities.
- Strong customer focus and the ability to work with a diverse customer base.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and follow through to completion on multiple tasks while managing frequent interruptions and competing priorities.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of export control regulations
The Security Programs and Planning organization is a diverse team of security professionals who collaborate to implement effective and efficient security services and solutions to and ensure the protection of national security assets. Our organization has responsibility for Classification, Classified Matter Protection and Control, Personnel Security, Badging, Security Incident Management, and Deployed Security support.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This job posting is at the Senior level. Member level employees are not eligible for movement into this job. If a Principal level employee applies and is selected, they will be moved into the Senior level and their salary will be adjusted if necessary. Level promotions are not permitted on this requisition.
Employees must remain in their current position for one year before applying for a new position, with the exception of student interns. Application of this requirement will not supersede the Laboratories’ collective bargaining agreements. See collective bargaining labor agreements for represented bidder eligibility requirements for represented employees.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.