Sandia National Laboratories JBEI Postdoctoral Metabolic Engineer in California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Metabolic Engineer to join our team working on establishing and implementing a biofoundry, called the Agile Biofoundry (ABF).
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work with a consortium of scientists from multiple national laboratories whose goal is to develop an integrated and automated design, build, test, learn cycle that composes the ABF core then demonstrate the foundry’s capabilities by engineering multiple host organisms to produce a range of different bioproducts.
- Focus primarily on metabolic engineering of fungi to produce terpene-based bioproducts.
- Utilize a strong background in molecular biology and metabolic engineering with prior knowledge of terpene biosynthetic pathways and the engineering strategies that have been implemented to successfully enhance carbon flux through them. Experience with fungal systems is highly desirable.
- A Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemical engineering, biochemistry, chemical engineering or other relevant field;
- Experience with metabolic engineering, bioengineering, or genetic modification of microbes;
- Demonstrated track record of publishing in peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Experience with terpene/isoprenoid biosynthesis;
- Experience using metabolic models or bioinformatic data-sets to guide engineering strategies;
- Experience engineering model or non-model fungi;
- Experience developing genetic tools for high-throughput metabolic engineering;
- Familiarity with D.O.E. funded projects;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
The Biomass Science and Conversion Technology department is dedicated to developing and advancing innovative technologies for producing the next generation of biofuels. Our multidisciplinary staff represents a diverse range of backgrounds and skill sets: molecular biology, chemistry, chemical and biochemical engineering, biophysics, computational science, and biochemistry. We partner broadly with other Sandia departments as well as other national laboratories, industry, and universities to develop practical, science-based solutions to national energy goals. We also play an essential role in the DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI), one of three Bioenergy Research Centers in the Nation advancing the next generation of biofuel technologies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT