Sandia National Laboratories JBEI Postdoctoral Appointee - Ionic Liquid Pretreatment in California
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
A JBEI postdoctoral position in the Biomass Science and Conversion Technologies Department is available immediately. The candidate will become a member of the Pretreatment group in the JBEI Deconstruction Division, developing advanced ionic liquid (IL) and deep eutectic solvent (DES) lignocellulosic pretreatment technologies for deployment in an integrated biorefinery.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work as an independent, energetic scientist or engineer to develop state-of-the-art methods for pretreating both hardwood and grass bioenergy crops, and explore separation technologies for IL/DES recycle and reuse;
- Research to identify effective solvents for reducing biomass recalcitrance to enzymatic depolymerization under high solids loadings that are compatible with downstream saccharification and fermentation processes;
- Investigate practical approaches for lignin depolymerization, fractionation and recovery from IL/DES-based pretreatment;
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers who are closely working in the area of IL/DES pretreatment for clean sugar production and microbial conversion to advanced fuels from the lignocellulosic biomass.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or a closely related field;
- Experience in the lignocellulosic biomass pretreatment and saccharification;
- Experience with biomass characterization;
- Demonstrated track record of publishing in peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Experience with IL/DES pretreatment;
- Expertise with separation technologies;
- Experience in the phase behavior, extraction and separation of monomeric and oligomeric sugars and lignin from IL solutions;
- Experience in IL recycling from chemical reaction media.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
The Biomass Science and Conversion Technology department is dedicated to developing and advancing innovative technologies for producing the next generation of biofuels. Our multidisciplinary staff represents a diverse range of backgrounds and skill sets: molecular biology, chemistry, chemical and biochemical engineering, biophysics, computational science, and biochemistry. We partner broadly with other Sandia departments as well as other national laboratories, industry, and universities to develop practical, science-based solutions to national energy goals. We also play an essential role in the DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI), one of three Bioenergy Research Centers in the Nation advancing the next generation of biofuel technologies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT