Sandia National Laboratories Test Operations Engineer (Early/Mid Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Test Operations Engineer to provide coordination and facilitation within 2556 (EM simulation and Fabrication) and associated remotely located Light Initiated High Explosive facility to ensure the hazardous and non-hazardous mission objectives are met in a safe, secure, and reliable manner
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Oversee operations, facilities coordination, and work flow at remotely located Light Initiated High Explosives Facility
- Collaborate with line management to facilitate safe, secure and efficient operations including developing and maintaining procedures, maintaining environmental permits, maintaining security plans, and implementation of corporate procedures
- Be responsible for strategic and tactical coordination, planning and implementation of solutions to address site needs. This includes maintenance of capabilities, equipment, and facility infrastructure. Gaps and growth opportunities will be identified within operations to allow for continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area or equivalent relevant professional experience in lieu of a degree
- Your background will include knowledge of or direct experience in performing and overseeing operations including but not limited to Work Planning and Controls, ESS&H, process and procedure development, test planning and execution, and implementation of Corporate requirements
- You bring experience with, or education in, testing setup/ execution, lab and/or facility operations, building and equipment maintenance.
- An active DOE Q security clearance to start
- Proven organizational and/or leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing hazardous operations/test facility and serving as primary interface for operations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and perform project management for complex programs at multiple locations around the laboratory.
- Demonstrated experience of tactical coordination, planning and implementation for the following: Equipment, facility projects, and the people conducting these projects
- Experience working with Energetic Materials: handling of materials, component, and assemblies in addition to preforming complex testing at both small and large scale.
- Demonstrated experience working with vested parties (staff, lab owners, facilities, and management) to improve and upgrade operations/facilities to meet mission needs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively within an organization (line and management) both orally and written documentation
- Broad experience with mechanical and electrical systems
- Experience doing and/or overseeing test planning and accurate allocation of resources
Department 02556 conducts validation and surveillance large-scale explosives testing within Sandia's remote technical areas in support of Nuclear Weapons (NW) and Work for Others (WFOs) programs. It supports other Explosive Technology Group (ETG) operations through fabrication of explosive and non-explosive weapons parts/components. The Department operates and maintains remote testing facilities including the Terminal Ballistics Facility (TBF), Light Initiated High Explosives (LIHE) Facility and the Explosive Machining Facility (EMF).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.