Sandia National Laboratories Technical Project Manager-NWS Engineering (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Technical Project Manager to join the NWS Engineering and Implementation Department (6511) that is now expanding to support urgent needs within the DOE/DoD complex and will be leading multiple projects to revitalize critical infrastructure and security equipment. You will have the knowledge and ability to lead complex security project(s) for DoD and/or DOE. These complex projects require coordination with both internal technical experts and external partners, leading highly technical and multi-functional teams, while efficiently managing relevant work, including budgets and schedules. You will exercise overall authority and accountability for the full life cycle of executing these technical projects, assuming all project management responsibilities and bringing technical and non-technical risks to resolution. You will be able to assume accountability as the primary interface to customers and sponsors, especially for project status reporting purposes. You work with business project personnel, as well as technical partners, within the extended project team, including customers, sponsors, and suppliers, to ensure that the project is fully and properly integrated. You will closely collaborate with the Project Management Office to develop, define, and execute project plans, schedules, budgets, and work.
In addition to responsibility for identifying and ensuring resolution of both technical and non-technical risks, you will work to identify ongoing opportunities, and other issues that impact the project, and the work. You will be responsible for following the plan, do, check, act process and actively partnering with the extended project team to implement changes to improve engineering and project management processes.
- You have an undergraduate and graduate degree in a STEM Discipline; a bachelor’s degree plus 4 years’ experience managing science and engineering projects may be considered in lieu of an undergraduate degree
- Over and above the education requirements, you have two or more years’ experience performing technical project management
- You can obtain a DOE Q clearance
Ideally, your background would also include:
- Experience in managing physical security design-build projects
- Experience leading highly technical and diverse teams
- Current PMP certification
- Practical understanding of EVMS concepts and reporting
- Has completed proposals and cost estimates for projects over $500k
- Demonstrated experience briefing DOE and/or DoD customers
- Effectively ran technical requirements through implementation and acceptance
- Utilized either MS Project of P6 Software to track a project
We are responsible for the engineering design and implementation of high consequence security systems across the DOE and DoD complex at both CONUS and OCONUS locations. Department staff are accountable for design-build life cycle projects, that start with requirements development and end with a fully operational system for real-world use by the customer. Departmental work scope varies based on customer requirements and may include the planning and executing of effectiveness assessments and site surveys, development of conceptual and detailed PSS designs, participation in procurement activities, conducting and documenting pre- and post-installation testing, providing oversight of sub-contractors supporting installations, configuration and implementation of high security equipment, all the way through to the development of post-installation logistics plans.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.