Sandia National Laboratories Systems Engineer-Security Design (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for nation's security?
We are seeking a Systems Engineer to join our diverse team. You will complete activities related to system level design, engineering, and testing. During the design process you would be handling the customer requirements and deriving them into functional and operational requirements. You will implement the requirements through design definition activities, such as design reports, engineering drawings, and specification. For system testing this position would build system or sub system test plans that are traced to requirements. You may also implement test plans either in laboratory, test field, or implementation site. We are also responsible for selecting commercial products for procurement that meet specifications and customer requirements. This person would be aware of many different areas of engineering to address system level challenges throughout the life cycle of a project; design/testing/implementation.
Ability to travel 25%-40% of the year.
- You have a bachelor's degree in STEM or related discipline
- You possess at least 2 years applicable experience
- You can obtain a DOE Q security clearance
Ideally, your background will also include:
- Experience in physical security system Design, Testing, and Engineering
- Ability to analyze and breakdown systems into manageable and discrete parts for better understanding and troubleshooting
- Ability to excel within a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Dream of working in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience deriving system requirements into sub-system and component requirements
- Experience in military based security analysis or technologies (interior/exterior sensors, video, networks, data fusion, etc.) and / or experience with DoD applications of physical security
- Experience with part/material selection and ordering
- Experience with calibrating test equipment
- Process management experience
- Current DOE clearance
The Security System Analysis & Engineering Department, (6513) is a component of Sandia's Weapons & Force Protection Center. We are responsible for the analysis, design, and implementation of complex physical security systems to protect critical DoD and DOE assets and defense capabilities. The department provides project management and domain experts in the area of risk analysis, intrusion detection, video assessment, communications, entry control and Alarm Communication and Display, and response force planning. These authorities are developed internally with extensive hands on training and external educational opportunities.
You will have the ability to lead and/or participate as a domain authority in vulnerability/risk analysis studies, engineering studies, system design, Sensor and access control component testing, development, and integration of complex physical security systems (PSS) for DoD, DOE and other government agencies. Electrical, Mechanical, Systems, and Civil Engineers primarily fill these roles. This department is currently working with the DOE, US Navy, US Air Force, and US Army to enhance the effectiveness of critical asset protection at CONUS/OCONUS installations through several multi-million-dollar initiatives.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.