Sandia National Laboratories Systems Engineer - Mobile Guardian Transporter (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer to support System-level assembly, test and qualification efforts. The selected candidate will engage in planning and execution of environmental testing for our final two MGT development test articles. The Mobile Guardian Transporter (MGT) program is in the Final Design Phase and early Qualification Phase, and we are seeking highly motivated team members.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work in an exciting, dynamic and fast-paced environment where you can make a visible impact on the national security posture of the United States
- Participate in planning/execution of full-scale system build and test activities (Prototype 2 and PPU units)
- Support planning and execution of system-level qualification test activities, including functional testing and normal, abnormal and hostile environments to include a full-scale sled track test
- Collaborate with tester team and subsystem teams, supporting functional and environmental qualification/test activities
- Developing and/or using various data acquisition systems (ex. for mechanical sensing during environmental test) and associated data analysis
- Generate and document qualification artifacts in support of eventual full system qualification products
- Support system-level qualification plan development and execution
Occasional travel required for this position.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or relevant STEM field; OR equivalent combination of education and experience (BS plus 4 years; AS plus 8 years; No degree plus 12 years)
- Two years' experience in a system engineering role for a large-scale product development effort involving aspects of qualification and verification (for example, environmental test development and test execution, functional test execution, other major qualification activities)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Ph.D. in engineering or a relevant field
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Demonstrated proficiency in applying system engineering principles and tools
- Experience in leadership roles in a qualification or other systems engineering effort
- Experience writing and executing system-level qualification test plans and reports while coordinating with domain specialists for input
- System-level normal and/or abnormal mechanical environments test definition and execution experience
- Expertise in dynamic qualification environments (e.g. developing alternative test plans in a timely manner as program conditions change)
- Proven experience with verification strategy/mapping, instrumentation definition, and assessment of performance relative to objectives/requirements
- Ability to handle multiple assignments with keen focus on customer service and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective teaming skills combined with an ability to take broad direction and carry out technical activities without detailed guidance or supervision
- Mature problem-solving skills and the ability to learn new technologies and develop solutions based on project needs
- Understanding of electrical engineering principles including: data acquisition; signal measurement; sampling techniques; and sampling theory; signal measurement; circuit design and schematics; experience testing digital, RF, and/or satellite communications systems; LabVIEW
We are engaged in a focused assembly, integration, test, analysis, and overall qualification effort for the MGT program, the next generation over-the-road secure transportation platform. The department's efforts help ensure the security of our nation's critical strategic assets during transportation. We develop and implement qualification solutions for MGT programs at the System level, and support subsystem qualification and system verification efforts. We are responsible for system-level development test article build and test activities, and we engage in forward-planning in preparation for the transition of build activities to the Production Agency. Our partners for analysis/test/qualification activities include multiple departments in SNL organizations 6600, 1500, and 2000.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.