Sandia National Laboratories Solutions Architect (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
A position exists for a motivated Solutions Architect to provide technical leadership for the delivery of a set of key strategic technical services to enable the successes of the scientific and engineering communities at Sandia. In this position, you will effectively identify and engage in the resolution of complex technical issues. The work environment is fast-paced and dynamic and thus making effective communication and teaming key elements of success. You will work with others, team cross-organizationally, consistently delivering, continuously learn new technologies, concepts, and processes. You will understand technical and functional design requirements and can work closely with users to define and develop overall system requirements.
Duties will include:
- Regularly researching the state of the art in information technologies and shares these discoveries with others and relevant members of the organization as a whole.
- You will designs, architects and implements IT solutions for production environments.
- Identify and track system deficiencies, and recommends and implements resolutions.
- You will be responsible for ensuring all services, platforms and any infrastructure meet corporate and team standards as far as security, maintainability, scalability and performance.
- Proactively seek opportunities to broaden and deepen knowledge base and proficiencies.
- Seek and participates in development opportunities above and beyond the required levels and mentors those with less experience through informal and formal means.
- Network successfully with a diverse technical population to solicit work to foster technical growth of the team.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related discipline plus five years of relevant experience; or a master's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related discipline plus two years of relevant experience; or doctorate in relevant experience; or equivalent experience (a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience required to qualify in lieu of relevant degree)
- Experience with operating systems including LINUX
- Experience architecting, sizing, deploying, and automating technical solutions
- Solid foundation knowledge of all areas of IT infrastructure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Expertise in a subset of the following information systems technical areas: hardware and software architectural design, network infrastructures and concepts, configuration management and IT automation, cloud infrastructure and services, virtual environments, databases, data storage and retention, storage systems such as Network Attached Storage, Storage Area Networks, and high performance file systems, systems-level software testing, fault investigation and anomaly resolution, documentation and training, system security and information assurance, and deployment of delivered systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following software systems VMWare, Open
- Stack, OpenShift, Mesosphere, Kubernetes, Docker, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Experience with hardware architectural design, specifications, prototyping, procurement, integration and implementation for both new systems and for recapitalization of existing systems.
- Technical certifications such as Red Hat Certified System Administrator, Red Hat Certified Engineer, Amazon Web Services Certifications (SysOps, DevOps, Solutions Architect), VMWare, etc.
- Experience with customer interactions, including researching requirements, conducting feasibility studies, advising for alternatives, analyzing cost and schedule implications, specifying technical system and subsystem solutions.
- Project management and system engineering experience and certifications.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to synthesize detailed data into useful information, such as project documentation and developing policies, processes and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a classified environment.
- Ability to function in a dynamic, fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- SCI Clearance
Science & Engineering Computing-Environment Services Department, Org 9321, provides advanced capabilities and in-depth support for a broad range of scientific and engineering computing services which include: high performance computing, remote graphics workstations, high performance storage, scientific and engineering applications, web development, software engineering, and continuous integration (compilation and test) environments. The department designs, develops, manages, and provides cutting edge software and tools across multiple platforms used to create complex mission unique capabilities. The department develops and implements new and emergent technologies and capabilities in support of mission and programmatic needs. We partner with other organizations and teams across the Laboratories to deliver user environments, subject matter expert support, and application-level software and tools to support the scientific and engineering communities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national original, disability, or veteran status.