Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer - Satellite Ground Systems (Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art concepts to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security!
We are looking to fill up to two positions for mid-career IT Software Engineers to work on a team responsible for supporting the testbed environments for a multi-component satellite ground system. This team is responsible for the management of multiple classified testbed environments that are used for development, anomaly resolution, and system testing. The position requires experience with Linux, high end servers, workstations, and various networking and storage solutions. Experience identifying how to determine where issues exist in both software or hardware is a plus. The successful candidates will have a strong background in managing testing environments and supporting users and resolving issues.
On any given day, the selected candidate may be asked to:
- Schedule, configure and support the various test events and users in the test bed.
- Assist with problem resolution
- Develop a key understanding of the software modules and build system by teaming with SME’s and other test team members and studying formal documentation.
- Follow procedures to configure the system for various test events
- Assist in automating tasks where possible
- Bachelors degree in a computer related STEM field+ 5, or more, years’ experience
- Two years of formal Software Environment experience on a large scale engineering effort
- Proficiency in Linux command line and editor knowledge
- Current DOE Q clearance, or equivalent, and can obtain a SCI clearance
- Experience communicating across multiple teams and prioritizing access to testbed environments
- Background in scripting languages, automation, version control, and configuration management
- Experience in python and other high-level scripting languages
- Experience using Confluence and JIRA
- Experience on a large fast-paced project of over 100 individuals
The integration and test competency utilizes a multidisciplinary system engineering approach that verifies and validates the interactions between all components/subsystems in order to assess system performance and stability. Applies analytical methods from mathematics, science, and engineering combined with independent assessments for a variety of verification and validation activities. Evaluates the defined system level performance requirements and develops acceptance criteria for the system and subsystems. Verifies and validates system internal and external interfaces, which includes testing with the flight segment. Interacts with customers and those responsible for development, testing, and implementation of the system and its elements. Additionally, our responsibilities include:
- Preparing and conducting formal, witnessed test events (validation and verification) and reports those results to project management and the sponsor
- Designing, implementing, documenting and executing system tests
- Assisting in the integration of a large-scale software/hardware onto the system
- Analyzing and identifying potential system technical shortcomings and issues, and identifying root causes and championing system improvements
- Communicating testing priorities at all program levels and with customers
- Managing day-to-day operations of the factory test bed and implementing automated testing for weekly regression and overnight/soak testing
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years. Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.