Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer-Platform Development (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Software Systems Engineer who can fulfill the role of a platform developer. You should have both breadth of knowledge and experience with multiple disciplines, such as computer hardware, scripts, networking, systems security and system programming. You will interact with teammates, internal project leadership, and possibly external partners to determine requirements and then work both with the team and individually to translate the requirements into integrated and secure automated solutions. You may be responsible for prototyping and documenting possible solutions within the project framework. Your role develops solutions to complex problems that require frequent use of creativity and analysis to gain in-depth evaluations across many disciplines.
You will participate in a team environment. Our environment is highly collaborative and team-centric with broad support for professional development, strategic and project innovation, and traditional training.
Your abilities will provide automated platform solutions by harmonizing researching technology fundamentals, testing and evaluating those hypotheses in a controlled test environment and then planning and implementing those solutions to satisfy requirements. Artifacts provided by this methodology include:
- State-of-the-art designs that are efficient, secure and meet present and future capacity.
- Understand architecture specifications and detailed design documentation to provide automated solutions.
- Planning and coordination of the installation and configuration of the solution.
You will need to maintain and grow technical expertise in all areas of computing platforms including servers, storage, network devices, and security devices (SIEMs, ACSs, and firewalls), Operating Systems (Linux), and virtualization to facilitate:
- Continuous platform operations and fixing time-sensitive issues.
- Evaluating and reporting on new platform technologies and recommending viable and scalable solutions for incremental improvements.
You will be expected to travel infrequently (once to twice per year, on average).
- You will have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field of Information Technology (IT) or related software/engineering degree.
- You can obtain a required US DOE Security clearance.
Your background should also include:
- Master’s degree in information technology, software/engineering, or other relevant computer discipline, plus 2 years of relevant IT experience.
- 2 or more years experience working with Linux operating systems.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in: a) Linux Systems administration; b) programming in Python, bash (or similar languages); c) computer and network systems anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, or debugging.
- Experience with Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt, or similar technologies.
- Experience in computer and network systems analysis to determine system requirements, define system design, develop architectures, and assess functionality and performance.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining network infrastructures by performing network systems analysis, build and configuration, anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, or debugging.
- Experience with information assurance, including security information and event management, access control systems, firewalls and intrusion prevention technologies.
- Experience with systems engineering or systems architecture principles, artifacts, tools, and processes.
- Experience with agile development methods, principles, and processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment.
- Current and active DOE L-level security clearance.
The Innovative Feature Development team specializes in the creation of product features for mission processing and analysis computing systems. We partner with a variety of mission spaces and work on various mission data processing systems. The department is organized into specialized agile development teams which focus on one project backlog for a given period and produce a minimum viable product or feature within 4-10 weeks depending on the system or project requirements. Teams research, development and utilize Opensource/Innersource and the latest proven technically to develop solutions. Teams range in specialties to include prototype development of new or small code bases, algorithm optimization, custom or fit-for-purpose platform solutions, as well as large complex code bases with over a million lines of code.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.