Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer for National Security at Sandia (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers.
Sandia is a world-class leader in cybersecurity for national security. To keep systems safe and foil attacks, we develop protective technologies, conduct threat assessments, and analyze government, military, and civilian computer networks. We work across the technology spectrum including embedded, mobile, desktop, and enterprise systems, as well as globally connected networks of networks. Come to Sandia and be part of a special, multidisciplinary team committed to solving the software engineering and information security challenges facing our nation.
We are a recognized leader in national security, called upon to assist the nation with complex challenges. We want you to join us!
When applying to this requisition, you may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several organizations focused on software engineering and cybersecurity. We are looking for:
- Reverse Engineers to conduct malware analysis and develop tools to foster the state-of-the-art technologies. You will analyze malware, maintain platforms and toolsets, develop new tools and techniques, hunt for advanced persistent threats’ tools, techniques, and procedures across internal/external repositories, and produce reports detailing your knowledge and discoveries.
- Web Developers to develop and maintain web applications and dashboard widgets for cyber and network analytics. You will use a diverse mix of tools, languages, and techniques; collaborate to create visually rich, compelling and effective web content for a positive, intuitive user experience; and research and evaluate new related technologies.
- Software Engineers to apply software development skills in multiple meaningful areas, including high-speed data acquisition, data visualization, data archive, user experience (UX), and storage architectures. You will work as part of creative and high-performing teams, using your software development skills to analyze, design, build, and deploy the next generation national security systems.
In these positions, you will be an independent, critical thinker skilled in using data to tackle analytic problems, while also enjoying collaborating closely with others in a fast-paced environment.
Occasional travel may be required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: Computer Science/Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, Management of Information Systems, Mathematics, or a related field; OR 8 years of relevant work experience required in lieu of a relevant degree as listed.
- Basic programming and scripting experience (e.g., .NET, Java/EE, Python, C++, C).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q security clearance, and willingness to take a polygraph exam if requested
Experience in a subset of the following areas:
Cybersecurity; malware analysis; reverse engineering; assembly languages (e.g., x86, x64); information security remediation and counter-measures; security solutions and technologies, including Windows, Macintosh, and Linux network architecture, implementation, and configuration
- Web product design/development; human factors; agile project execution
- DevOps software delivery; micro-service architectures; cloud computing; object oriented design and development; user/human centered design
Familiarity with a subset of the following techniques, technologies, and tools:
Dynamic and static analysis and tools (e.g., IDAPro, Ollydbg); incident detection and response (e.g., IDS, IPS, HBSS, Kill Chain, EnCase Enterprise, AccessData Forensic Toolkit); disassembly analysis for binaries; advanced computer exploitation methodologies; analysis of electronic media, network traffic, packet capture, log data, and network devices (e.g., TCP/UDP, firewalls, proxies, anti-virus, spam/spyware solutions)
- Cloud computing services (e.g., Open Stack, AWS, Azure); container technologies (e.g., Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes); open-source or COTS-based messaging, integration, data store, and application server platforms
- Knowledge of and experience with the full software development lifecycle using iterative or agile methods
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation
- Demonstrated collaboration skills for working in a team environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex ideas clearly and concisely
- Existing DOE or DoD security clearance
The position posted is intended to fill multiple positions across Sandia National Laboratories.
Sandia is a world-class leader in cybersecurity. Today, cybersecurity is a daunting national security problem, and we're applying decades of expertise to the task. As the most networked nation on earth, the United States is extremely vulnerable. To keep systems safe and foil attacks, we develop protective technologies, conduct threat assessments, and analyze government, military, and civilian computer systems and networks. Through technology and analysis, we help secure the nation's critical energy and communications infrastructures against natural and malicious disruption. We assess physical and cyber vulnerabilities and conduct large-scale analyses to understand infrastructure interdependencies and guide efforts to improve resiliency. We develop technologies for preventing disruption and enhancing recovery in vital cyber systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.