Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Software Systems Engineer
We are seeking an Engineer who can join our team to develop and modernize across the hardware/software lifecycle with an emphasis on software integration and dev/ops. The successful candidate will work with an existing team on a wide variety of tasks in an agile framework for existing and new national security stakeholders. Breadth of knowledge and experience with multiple domains is critical -- along with a curiosity of how to modernize a system such that it stays modern. This is a highly collaborative and team-centric environment with broad support for professional development.
The successful candidate must maintain and grow technical expertise in computer science, computer engineering, and software engineering including continuous delivery, servers, storage, networking, security, operating systems, and virtualization.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field (e.g. computer science, computer engineering)
- Demonstrated innovative attitude to push the boundaries of what is possible in high consequence domains, and technical curiosity to keep yourself current in the latest technologies
- Ability to travel infrequently (although some roles offer frequent travel opportunities, most only ask once or twice per year on average)
- Ability to obtain US DOE Security clearance
- Master’s degree in relevant field plus 2 years of relevant IT/SW/CE experience
- Experience with the Linux OS including experience as a systems administration
- Experience with and interest in software integration, testing, configuration control, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Experience with Python, Ansible, Git, and similar technologies
- Experience in establishing and maintaining network infrastructures by performing network systems analysis, build and configuration, anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, or debugging
- Experience with information assurance, including security information and event management, access control systems, firewalls and intrusion prevention technologies
- Experience with agile development methods, principles, and processes
- Demonstrated communication skills, and excellent teaming skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment
The System and Environments Engineering Department is a capability based organization that architects, develops, integrates, tests, and deploys large highly reliable mission critical systems using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). We have expertise in R&D and Information Technology across many disciplines including large-scale software engineering, computer science, and computer engineering. Our specific capabilities include computer hardware/software architectures, system administration/networking, cyber security, failover/redundancy, continuous integration, system integration/verification, and performance assessment. We leverage these capabilities to innovate high-rigor solutions while supporting existing critical customer needs. Our current responsibility includes support for nonproliferation and national security missions for the US Nuclear Detonation Detection System.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.