Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Software Systems Engineer to become part of a software development team that works across all aspects of an application’s software stack which spans requirements elicitation, DevOps, backend development in multiple languages, and web-based UIs.
You will have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following technical areas:
- DevOps experience with modern development and platform environments including CI/CD pipelines, Git, Docker, Ansible, Terraform
- Database experience, including talking to customers to define data needs and use cases, using various databases (relational, document, time-series) and tools to collaborate with underlying database technologies (e.g. GraphQL)
- Backend design and implementation of data processing algorithms, microservice architectures, message passing, and process controls using Python, Go, JVM languages (Java, Clojure, Scala)
- Web-based UI development using modern languages and frameworks such as React, Redux, Vue.js, Apollo, Angular, TypeScript, Cesium
- Mid-to-high TRL (Technical Readiness Level) software engineering design and implementation
We value strong communication skills, a passion for learning and applying new technologies, and successfully working in collaborative software engineering teams.
- An undergraduate and advanced degree in Computer Science or related STEM discipline; or Bachelor's in a related STEM discipline, plus relevant, recent experience in software development
- Experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- Experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., Java and Python)
- Knowledge and experience with implementation of the full software development life cycle using Agile or Iterative methodologies such as Scrum and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Demonstrated strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Experience developing mission critical data processing and analysis systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong customer-focus and proactive response to questions/requests with demonstrated exceptional follow through
- Current DOE Q-level clearance with current or recent SCI clearance
The Emergent Systems and Analysis department specializes in the exploration, development, and analysis of emergent and disruptive technologies in computer science to solve complex problems. We bring to bear diverse expertise in mission analysis, software engineering, web services, big data management and visualization, image processing, machine learning, and modeling and simulation, which are applied to a myriad of sensor data processing challenges across the laboratory. Our research and capabilities drive innovative solutions in big data understandability, providing tools for analysis and visualization that help customers make decisions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.