Sandia National Laboratories Satellite Mission Engineer (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team and tackle significant issues and challenges for our nation's security!
We are seeking an Aeronautical Engineer to use their backgrounds in aerospace engineering or experience in hardware design to provide input on projects relating to remote sensing and satellite systems. Experience with satellite design and understanding of space systems engineering will enable the successful candidate to approach satellite systems, assess vulnerabilities and build novel satellite design concepts.
Key skills for this position include: a strong understanding of orbital dynamics; satellite architecture modeling and simulation; small satellite design, guidance navigation & control (GNC); satellite threat analysis; remote proximity operations; and satellite command and control (C2).
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Collaborate on multi-disciplinary teams to devise satellite missions responsive to national security needs
- Model satellite orbital mechanics and dynamics (in STK or similar codes)
- Assess satellite system capabilities, including resolutions, revisit times, and data latencies; devise big-picture architectural concepts to meet customer needs
- Interface directly with government and commercial customers to evaluate existing designs
- Bachelor's degree with relevant internship experience
- Aerospace, Electrical, and/or Mechanical Design experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Excellent written and verbal communication, project coordination, and possess a strong dedication to a teaming dynamic
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, as well as on a multi-disciplinary team to build consensus and resolve issues
- Experience in the design, development, test, and implementation of space satellite systems
- Proficiency with space architectures, especially satellite observatories
- Experience in satellite orbital mechanics and dynamics modeling
- Familiarity with modeling languages, including STK, Python, Matlab, or similar
- Familiarity with satellite programs and processes
- Strong organization and planning skills and the ability tackle more than one assignment at a time
- Desire to learn new skills as required and develop expertise in areas that may be unfamiliar
- Active or ability to obtain Q and TS/SCI clearances
- Willingness to travel up to 20%
We have researched and developed new monitoring systems and technologies for over half a century. Building on that legacy, today we support national security missions involving nuclear proliferation detection, treaty monitoring, arms control, and various needs within the national security communities.
We specialize in developing state of the art technologies for remote sensing in the areas of optimized digital processing, real-time decision algorithms, high performance processing, remote distributed data processing architectures, rapid high consequence technology insertions for remote sensing applications, and remote sensing system engineering. The team focuses on missions that require autonomy and edge computing to reduce decision timelines creating a technological advantage for the intelligence community and the warfighter.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.