Sandia National Laboratories Safety Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Safety Engineer who is passionate about worker safety and health and establishing and maintaining a strong safety culture. The successful candidate will work with customers across Sandia to implement, administer, and advise on hazard control techniques, processes, and programs to ensure worker safety and health and compliance with requirements.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform hazard identification, analysis, and recommend controls for systems, support equipment, facilities, and operations to ensure worker safety and compliance.
- Develop and conduct safety training in the program areas including fall protection, control of hazardous energy, hoisting and rigging, and powered industrial trucks and forklift operation.
- Perform oversight of construction-related activities to OSHA’s construction standard and Sandia’s policies and processes.
- Perform regular audits and reviews of operational areas and report effectiveness of safety programs including general industry OSHA and specific areas including electrical, firearms, pressure, explosives, construction, and motor vehicle as required by 10 CFR 851.
- Ensure that workplace conditions conform to federal, state, or other occupational safety and health requirements.
- Analyze and recommend safety criteria in system design, equipment, and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
- Develop safety documents to support line customers including test and operational requirements.
- Participate in accident investigations involving injuries and damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions.
- Complete required federal, state, and local government reports relating to safety.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health/Safety, Engineering or a closely related field plus 5 years of relevant experience; or relevant associates degree plus 12 years of relevant experience; or 13 years of relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- Ability to obtain a DOE L-level security clearance.
- Degree in Safety Engineering or CSP (Certified Safety Professional).
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following areas: construction safety, safety training, electrical safety, ergonomics, explosive safety, hazardous energy control (lockout tagout), pressure safety, firearms safety, traffic/aviation safety.
- Experience conducting accident investigations and recording and reporting occupational injuries or illnesses.
- Broad understanding and experience applying OSHA General Industry and Construction Standards as well as DOE orders/codes/standards.
- Experience implementing ASME Codes, NFPA Codes, DOT regulations, CGA guidelines, ANSI standards and DOE/DOD Orders/standards will be valued.
- Experience applying safety principles in a research and development environment.
- Self-starter who can work with line customers and other Safety professionals in a fast-paced, critical deadline, cooperative teaming atmosphere.
- Strong customer service and teaming skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Current DOE L-level or Q-level security clearance.
Our team partners with organizations and the workforce to assure safe operations across the Lab. We lead the Corporate Safety Engineering (SE) programs for the laboratories. The department is responsible for developing Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) policy and the supporting infrastructure to implement Integrated Safety Management, DOE orders and OSHA regulations for our safety programs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.