Sandia National Laboratories Research & Development, Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Systems Engineer that is passionate about their work and wants to see their research have direct impact on the security of our country. You would join our dynamic, multi-disciplinary team in the Energy Security Department to work on cutting edge national security problems related to critical infrastructures and you would be able to utilize state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to explore creative solutions. Additionally, as part of Sandia’s much larger cyber community you will be exposed to many technology areas related to all areas of cyber and you could be instrumental in helping tackle some of the most challenging issues facing our nation's security.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Lead a diverse team with critical objectives;
- Develop time and budget estimates for a give project;
- Support proposal development for new projects or funding opportunities;
- Interface with multiple departments in a variety of fields that are affected by cyber security issues;
- Develop virtualization systems and networks;
- Mentor co-workers and junior staff;
- Develop requirements in support of program objectives;
- Identify and question obstacles and gaps that may impede program objectives;
- Write technical papers, present at conferences;
- Present lab capability demonstrations to VIP tours highlighting program thrusts and objectives;
- Review, write reports and provide recommendations supporting a variety of cyber informed processes and procedures, standards;
- Interact with sponsors and stakeholders on program deliverables.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s in a related discipline; OR equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated technical writing skills as evidenced through peer reviewed journals, conference proceedings, or technical reports;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Active DOD/DOE TS/Q security clearance;
- Ability to plan and lead research resulting in creative technical solutions;
- Professional experience in network design, implementation, network devices and data science analytics;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to explain complex ideas clearly and concisely;
- Systems background working with Programmable Logic Controllers, SCADA systems;
- Systems Safety and risk understanding.
The Energy Security Department conducts applied cyber research and development on technologies to better secure our energy critical infrastructures and minimize our threat from cyber enabled nuclear proliferation. In addition to these two areas, we support other SNL cyber organizations in their mission space. Our department focuses on fully understanding the cyber risk to a critical infrastructure and developing tools to help mitigate those risks. This is done through our three main research thrusts: cyber risk management (including supply chain), secure architectures, and modeling and simulation. Our team performs research and development to solve questions such as what cyber risk is this infrastructure exposed to? What would a more secure control architecture look like? How would I model this environment to explore our potential solutions? Example of systems we look at would include nuclear power plant instrumentation and control systems, pipeline control systems, other energy systems, and nuclear non-proliferation technology. Our customers include multiple government sponsors such as the Department of Energy, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, National Nuclear Security Administration, and other federal entities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.