Sandia National Laboratories Research & Development Manager, Energy Security (8851) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and want to utilize state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to lead a team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a R&D. Manager to lead a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team in the Energy Security (08851) department to work on cutting edge national security problems related to critical energy infrastructures. The team utilizes state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to research creative solutions. Additionally, as part of Sandia’s much larger cyber security community you will lead collaboration with other cyber security technology areas within and external to Sandia National Laboratories. Our primary sponsors include the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the Department of Energy, and international partners.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Engage with our customers to help define the challenges and build our program;
- Develop and sustain external and internal partnerships;
- Evaluate progress on key activities, provide scientific, technical and programmatic guidance to staff and recommendations to sponsors;
- Engage in staff talent development and recruitment while maintaining a safe and secure work environment for a diverse workforce;
- Lead research in secure control system architectures related to nuclear power systems and other critical infrastructures;
- Tackle risk related research to help make energy systems resilient to threats (man-made or naturally occurring);
- Collaborate with other national labs and universities in these areas;
- Travel internationally in support of international nuclear security.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Cyber Security or other equivalent STEM degree plus eight or more years of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated program management experience and 3 years experience working with Sandia’s cyber security community;
- Experience in developing and leading high performing teams in a multi-discipline analytical environment;
- Evidence of technical publications and proposal development;
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally;
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Cyber Security or other equivalent STEM degree;
- Ten years' proven leadership experience;
- Demonstrated experience building R&D programs for U.S government organizations;
- Experience in nuclear industry in areas of nuclear regulatory and security including experience with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission;
- Demonstrated experience with cyber security for nuclear power plants;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a SCI security clearance which may include a polygraph test.
The Energy Security Department conducts applied cyber research and development on technologies to better secure our energy critical infrastructures and minimize our threat from cyber enabled nuclear proliferation. In addition to these two areas, we support other cyber security organizations within the labs to help enable their missions. Our department focuses on fully understanding the cyber risk to a critical infrastructure and developing tools to help mitigate those risks. This is done through our three main research thrusts: cyber risk management (including supply chain), secure architectures, and modeling and simulation. This team performs research and development to solve questions such as what cyber risk is this infrastructure exposed to? What would a more secure control architecture look like? How would I model this environment to explore our potential solutions? Example of systems we look at include nuclear power plant instrumentation and control systems, pipeline control systems, other energy systems, and non-proliferation technology. Our customers include the Department of Energy, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, National Nuclear Security Administration, and other federal entities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.