Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Research and Analysis for Nuclear and Reactor Facilities (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity.
You could be the Systems Engineer we are seeking to provide a wide range of software engineering activities for the Nuclear Reactor and Systems Engineering Department supporting the nuclear facility operations. You will have opportunities to advance your technical domain, and to fill roles that require increasing levels of responsibility, integrating quality into software design, and collaborating with customers, line, and program management.
We are looking for an individual with:
- Strong software design and development skills.
- Experience leading and/or successfully contributing to teams.
- The ability to think broadly and deeply in the design and implementation of application design features.
- Self-motivated performer with strong communication skills.
On any given day, you may:
- Oversee and develop new capabilities through Engineering Approaches, Systems Engineering, and subsequent Software Development.
- Team with and lead other scientists, engineers, and support staff to identify and implement software solutions.
- Team and communicate with team members to understand new software capabilities and assist in regression suite development.
- Interface directly with Government customers and/or end users to address/capture their needs.
- Provide customer support by helping users with applications, solving issues, or identifying/fixing critical defects.
- Forecast software development and deployment schedules; assist in the development of customer cost estimates.
- Learn new skills via mentoring, self-study, or formal training courses.
Are you ready for your next challenge? Join our team and achieve your goals while making a difference.
- Bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline plus five or more years of relevant experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of the job
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Q clearance
Ideally, your background would also include:
- Experience in distributed system architectures, SOAP/REST web services, Oracle and PL/SQL databases, distributed version control (e.g. Git)
- Experience with the full software development process, agile development, user interfaces, databases, and DevOp deployments
- Well-developed leadership skills to include the ability to prioritize and execute in a disciplined manner
- Strong interpersonal, organization, planning, oral and written communication skills - ability to explain complex ideas clearly and succinctly
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplinary team environment, building consensus and resolving issues
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting customer needs and satisfaction
- Familiarity with DOE nuclear facility programs and processes
- Knowledge of 10CFR830 and applicable DOE orders (e.g. 414.1D, 420.1C, 433.1B, etc.)
- Experience with ASME NQA-1, ANSI/ANS 15.8, and other engineering codes and standards
- Desire to learn new skills as required and develop expertise in areas that may be unfamiliar
- Active Q clearance
The Nuclear Reactor and Systems Engineering Department (Org. 1385) provides engineering analysis, design, performance monitoring, configuration management, and maintenance planning and coordination with the goal of ensuring the performance and reliability of the safety-related systems at the nuclear facilities located in Sandia's Technical Area V (TA-V). These nuclear facilities provide combined neutron/gamma and gamma radiation environments for radiation effects testing to support Sandia's Nuclear Weapons Strategic Management Unit stockpile stewardship activities and a variety of external customers. The nuclear facilities include (a) the Annular Core Research Reactor, which is an open-pool reactor that can be operated in a "pulse mode" or a "steady-state mode," (b) the water-based zero-power reactor critical experiments in support of criticality and analytical benchmark data for nuclear power industry issues, (c) the Gamma Irradiation Facility, which utilizes cobalt-60 to provide high-intensity gamma irradiation environments, and (d) the Auxiliary Hot Cell Facility for processing of legacy nuclear and radioactive materials.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.