Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer - Software Security (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking an Engineer with a strong systems engineering background to join our team. The selected candidate will support and lead a variety of complex software projects for critical national security assets. This role works in team environments with customers, fellow system engineers, software/hardware developers, integrators/testers, and other partner organizations. The project is based on the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and the candidate is expected to work in an Agile environment. This role requires experience in and a deep understanding of using Object-Oriented Model-Based Systems Engineering approach to projects.
The successful candidate will be self-directed, innovative, organized, responsive, and possess strong communication and time management skills. Occasional travel will be required.
Depending on the skills and interests of the engineer, specific responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Modeling new or existing projects with MBSE tools and artifacts
- Experience with satellite ground systems
- Leadership experience and domain specialist in a system engineering field
- Project planning and execution experience
- Experience solving tough problems
- Developing and deploying project-wide system engineering processes
- Developing, understanding, and maintaining system requirements
- Ability to document and model Use-Cases
- Ensuring accurate verification & validation of requirements
- Working with the government sponsor and internal project office to define delivery requirements
- Participating in technical exchange meetings with the sponsor and other partner organizations
- Briefing internal project management and customers as needed
- Identifying potential system shortcomings and issues, and championing system improvements
- Recognizing gaps across teams and taking proactive steps to close them
- Authoring technical documents
- MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, systems engineering, or equivalent other technical field; OR BS degree as stated plus 4, or more, years related experience
- Demonstrated background in systems engineering
- Experience working with a medium-to-large information processing system in a systems engineering or developer role
- Skills to develop MBSE models and artifacts for new or existing projects
- Ability to travel
- Can obtain a DOE Q and SCI clearance
- Experience with software development and deployment
- Agile and SAFe experience
- Scrum master experience
- Experience with Rally
- Experience with Modeling tools
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Power Point, Visio, and Excel
- Experience with relevant application domains (sensor systems, satellite ground systems, optical systems, command and control systems)
- Experience with large, complex scientific and technical applications development
- Ability to thrive and make decisions in an environment with changing, and often ambiguous or conflicting, priorities
- Ability to work closely with others in a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proven outstanding interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
- Ability to understand technical detail while also understanding the big picture
- Ability to synthesize and distill complex problems into succinct, audience-appropriate information
- Attention to detail
We have system engineering and system integration and test responsibilities for large, satellite ground system which is being developed to support high consequence national assets which support nonproliferation and national security missions. Our systems are targeted for a range of applications and complexity, including remote and in-situ sensing systems, satellite communications and control, distributed computing and analysis, and real-time data collection, management, exploitation and dissemination.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.