Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer - PRT Lead (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and want to utilize state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Are you comfortable working in a dynamic and team oriented atmosphere to join the Interconnect Technologies Department as a Product Realization Team (PRT) Lead? If so, you could be the highly motivated R&D Systems Engineer we are seek. Your principal responsibility is to provide technical and programmatic leadership to engineering teams in the design, qualification and production of complex interconnect components for high consequence applications.
On any given day you may be called on to:
- Collaborate with customers and design staff to establish work scope and budget.
- Document agreed upon tasks and deliverables
- Support design staff in the design and development of end item.
- Develop, document, and execute project plans.
- Collaborate with the Production Agency to incorporate defect prevention and design for manufacture.
- Write reports, perform cost estimates, work issues and present results/findings.
- Provide quality product that satisfy customer requirements within cost and schedule constraints with supporting qualification evidence.
- Work with design staff in performing concurrent engineering, qualification, and production.
- Facilitate the acquisition of data throughout the product life cycle to demonstrate sustained compliance with customer requirements
- Perform design of cables and/or electrical connectors as opportunities and interest coincide.
Following safety, process controls, and quality principles is essential to the success of our department. Some travel required.
- Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or other relevant science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) discipline.
- Master's in a STEM discipline; or 4 years relevant experience post Bachelors.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Component or subsystem design experience that includes electrical, electromechanical or mechanical design practices.
- Masters in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or other relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Strong desire to be involved in program management in support of product design, development and evaluation.
- Experience in the application of engineering principles, and manufacturing methods.
- PRT Lead or product development Experience
- Knowledge of the NWC drawing and Engineering Authorization system
- Knowledge of NW requirements drawings (CDs, PSs, SSs, B-series drawings, etc.)
- Microsoft Project experience.
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Strong analytical skills.
The Interconnects Department designs, develops tests and qualifies cable assemblies (high voltage, RF, flat-flex, multi-wire, and fiber optic), junction boxes and adaptor assemblies.
The department further designs, fabricates, and deploys equipment and testers for our products as such systems are not available through private industries. Our in-house designed equipment is in use at Sandia, the National Security Campus (NSC), as well as selected vendor sites for the development and qualification of War Reserve and other high-reliability components.
We use the Realize Product Subsystem (RPSS) to realize Mark Quality product that covers the complete product realization cycle of requirements, design, development, specification, qualification, procurement, delivery and stockpile support through our partners at the NSC.
We employ defect-prevention strategies to gain an understanding of design margin during the development cycle. The department's capabilities include the ability to address multiple challenging requirements related to meeting high reliability numbers over extremely long life, radiation tolerance, nuclear safety requirements, and size & weight restrictions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.