Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer-National Security (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation's security?
We are seeking a high-quality staff member with a background in systems engineering to join the Systems Engineering team on a large, complex software project for a critical national security asset. Your role requires working in a large team environment with customers, fellow system engineers, software/hardware developers, integrators/testers, and partner organizations.
You will be self-directed, innovative, organized, responsive, and possess strong communication and time management skills. Occasional travel will be required.
On any given day, depending on the skills and interests of the engineer, specific responsibilities may include some or all the following:
- Developing and deploying project-wide system engineering processes
- Developing, understanding, and maintaining system requirements
- Ensuring accurate verification & validation of requirements
- Overseeing risk management processes
- Developing a project-wide process to manage change
- Working with the government sponsor and internal project office to define delivery requirements
- Participating in technical exchange meetings with the sponsor and other partner organizations
- Developing cloud-based deployment strategies
- Briefing internal project management and customers as needed
- Assisting in the integration of a large-scale software application into a cloud environment
- Identifying potential system shortcomings and issues, and championing system improvements
- Recognizing gaps across teams and taking dedicated steps to close them
- Planning and scheduling work
- Authoring technical documents
- You have a bachelor's degree focused on systems engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or other related discipline; OR equivalent combination of completed education and related experience (graduate degree (Masters or PhD) plus 2 years' experience)
- Your background includes demonstrated systems engineering background
- Your skillset includes experience working with a medium-to-large information processing system in a systems engineering or developer role
- You have an existing DOE Q clearance with ability to obtain a SCI clearance
Ideally, your background will also include a subset of the following:
- MS Degree in related discipline
- Experience with software development and deployment in a cloud environment
- Agile and SAFe experience
- Scrum master experience
- Experience with Rally
- Experience with IBM JAZZ Doors Next Gen and RQM modules
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Power Point, Visio, and Excel
- Experience with relevant application domains (sensor systems, satellite ground systems, optical systems, command and control systems)
- Experience with large, complex scientific and technical applications development
- Ability to thrive and make decisions in an environment with changing, and often ambiguous or conflicting, priorities
- Ability to work closely with others in large team environments
- Strong organizational/time management skills
- Proven outstanding interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
- Ability to understand technical detail while also understanding the big picture
- Ability to synthesize and distill complex problems into succinct, audience-appropriate information
- Attention to detail
We have system engineering and system integration and test responsibilities for large, cloud-based information technology system which is being developed to support high consequence national assets which support nonproliferation and national security missions. Our systems are targeted for a range of applications and complexity, including remote and in-situ sensing systems, satellite communications and control, distributed computing and analysis, and real-time data collection, management, exploitation and dissemination.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires SCI access.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance and SCI access. SCI access may require a polygraph examination.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.