Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer - HOT SHOT - (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Systems Engineer to join the Advanced and Exploratory Systems department to lead the HOT SHOT program. Your activities will be diverse but will focus on leadership and execution of HOT SHOT program. They will range from:
- Leadership of the payload integration team to ensure safe and timely payload integration and delivery
- Facilitation, coordination and collaboration with HOT SHOT payload experiment owners to ensure on-time delivery, successful integration and distribution of data
- Interactions with other laboratories, production sites, and Sandia organizations to enable adoption of advanced and exploratory concepts in future systems
- Interactions with diverse set of customers and stakeholders
- Partnership with the vehicle integration and fielding team
- Support of program development activities
- Support of other activities developing advanced and exploratory system concepts and demonstrations
On any given day you will be called on to support the HOT SHOT sounding rocket program. Responsibilities will include:
- Development of the payload layout and definition
- Interactions with and defining interface definition for experiment owners
- Reporting to SNL management, customers and stakeholders on status, accomplishments and issues
- Coordinating and supporting payload integration activities to include assembly, testing, and troubleshooting
- Launch support for the flight tests.
External interfaces include the National Nuclear Security Administration, DoD collaborators (USN and USAF), Los Alamos National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the UK Atomic Weapons Establishment, and the Kansas City National Security Center (KCNSC) production plant.
Internal interfaces include various S&T, systems, component, design definition, test and evaluation, and computational simulation organizations.
This position requires domestic and international travel.
- Bachelor’s in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or STEM discipline plus 6 years relevant experience
- Experience leading programs focused on hardware delivery
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
System testing, integration and troubleshooting
- Fielding and delivering flight-ready hardware
- Instrumentation, data collection, processing, and analysis
- Coordinating environmental test activities
- Experience designing and fabricating cables
- Active US DOE Q security clearance
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs focused on hardware delivery
- Advanced degree in STEM discipline
- Hands on laboratory experience working with printed circuit boards
- Experience with implementation of Foundation Bus communication protocol
- Fiber Optics experience
- Self-directed, customer focused, and has strong interpersonal, teaming, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work in a diverse set of technologies
- Previous working relationship with external partners
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal, including strong presentation skills
- Proven ability to integrate, build, and work effectively across technical teams, interface with customers and suppliers to resolve issues, and conduct tradeoffs to identify system solutions
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple teams responsible for complex systems
The Advanced and Exploratory systems department employs a diverse set of disciplines which includes ME, EE, Materials, and MBSE staff members. We are engaged in multiple activities with a push to build and demonstrated future capabilities. We interface with many external and internal customers and help the laboratory to coordinate investments into research areas that will ensure the future viability and effectiveness of our nation’s nuclear deterrent
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.