Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer-Flight/Lab Surveillance (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Systems Engineer to participate in cutting-edge engineering and science in support of the stockpile weapon system sustainment including active flight and laboratory surveillance programs. Major projects for the department include development and implementation of a refresh strategy for an instrumented Joint Test Assembly, development of strategies to study aging effects, creation and execution of lifetime sustainment program activities, performing Annual Assessment, and day-to-day activities supporting the system. System Engineering tools, methodologies, and processes will be applied to daily activities in support of this assignment. This role partners closely with external customers, stakeholders, partners and users, including NNSA, AF, and subject matter experts throughout the nuclear weapons complex.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Lead NW stockpile system sustainment, product development, and upgrades by applying knowledge of a science or engineering discipline and applying critical thinking. Combine systems engineering principles and a science, technology, engineering, or math discipline to research, design, develop, and execute experiments.
- Lead and/or participate on complex collaborative projects. Work closely with internal and external customers, stakeholders, and partners. Manage work package agreements, project schedules, and budgets for assigned activities. Requires occasional domestic travel to meet with customers, stakeholders, and partners.
- Understand system performance by collaborating with subject matter experts to perform and analyze results from system level ground and flight testing, component level testing, computational methods, simulation, and visualization tools, and Component Material Evaluation efforts. Understand the nature of system problems; lead anomaly resolution teams through root cause analysis, solution options, and trade space.
- Prepare white papers, presentations, trade studies, and other documents.
- Interface with the system customer and those responsible for developing, testing, and implementing the system and its elements.
- Apply analysis and problem solving techniques to production, stockpile evaluation, and maintenance activities.
- Bachelor’s degree AND advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) discipline.
- Masters’ degree plus applicable NW experience, including experience with NW systems, components, safety, use control, NW surveillance, and/or advanced nuclear weapons technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work on challenging problems in a fast-paced collaborative team environment that requires extensive cross-organizational and multi-disciplinary teaming.
- Experience with project management discipline and tools.
- Experience with SNL NW Product Realization Process and NNSA and Department of Defense (DoD) NW processes.
- Experience and knowledge in Systems Engineering.
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex systems.
- Experience developing and/or using physical and computational simulations/modeling.
- Experience interacting with external customers and stakeholders.
- New Mexico Professional Engineering License and/or Project Management Professional Certification or experience.
- Understanding of, and a demonstrated ability to use, a variety of research tools.
- Superior communication skills, oral and written – clear, concise, and effective.
- Demonstrated teaming skills.
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance.
ICBM Reentry System Department * W78/Mk12A Weapon Program * Buildings 809 & 6620 Management * Center ES&H
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT