Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are currently looking for experienced System Engineers to join the W76-1/-2 Systems team. These openings provide excellent opportunities for highly-motivated individuals with a scientific or engineering background to make significant contributions to Sandia.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Plan, conceive, conduct, or manage research and development for Sandia’s customers and sponsors related to the various programs under the W76-1/-2 systems.
- Direct systematic study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discover new approaches to achieve goals.
- Create new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method’s hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Use engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
- Undertake development and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
- Undertake creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM discipline and Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in relevant STEM discipline with 5 or more years of relelvant experience, or Bachelor's degree in relevant STEM discpline plus 9 years of relevant experience.
- 2 or more years of technical leadership experience.
- Experience with the system engineering process of requirements verification and validation, flow down, system test and delivery.
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance or equivalent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Sandia Product Realization Process.
- Experience working with: National Nuclear Security Administration, DoD customers, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Experience in the following areas: NW surveillance, engineering drawing and authorization system, production, product development and qualification, testing and evaluation, modeling and simulation.
- Proven ability to integrate and work effectively across technical teams, interface with customers and suppliers to resolve issues, and conduct tradeoffs to identify system solutions is essential.
- Proven ability to work effectively with management is essential.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in an ND system organization with fundamental SNL nuclear weapon design knowledge.
- Deep understanding of Joint Test Assembly and Telemetry systems.
- Experience with flight test coordination with DoD customers.
- Understanding of flight test capabilities and objectives.
- Understanding of secure transportation CONOPS.
- Understanding of transportation program and familiar with stakeholders.
- Experience working across organizations for integration and testing activities.
- Knowledge and understanding of nuclear safety themes and principles.
- Familiar with NESS activities for OTR.
- Ability to travel 30% domestically within the US (Primarily to LANL, SNLCA, and KCNSC).
The W76-1/-2 Life Extension Project Department is responsible for the refurbishment of the W76 warhead to extend its stockpile life. We are responsible for the design, development, and qualification of an integrated replacement arming, fuzing and firing (AF&F) system, a joint test assembly (JTA), and the system hardware for the Mk4A reentry body assembly. Our responsibilities also include project planning and management, test coordination and execution, and system engineering design.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.