Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Nuclear Deterrence Governance and Engineering Process team is seeking a R&D S&E, Systems Engineer who has passion and ability to lead in the sustainment and evolvement of how we realize NW product. If you survey the Nuclear Weapons (NW) lifecycle of Sandia National Labs, you will discover this position offers a unique opportunity where you can:
- Contribute to cross-weapons projects.
- Interact and build working relationships with senior and executive leadership.
- Have the autonomy to expose yourself to just about every area of NW product realization lifecycle.
- Gain a breadth and depth of knowledge across the NW complex.
- Lead or support emerging NW initiatives.
- Position yourself for a future NW product development leadership role.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop and improve the processes necessary to realize nuclear weapons product.
- Partner with leadership supporting NW Governance of product (WEC, WEC ESG, PRAC, DGB, PGB, SGB, RGB and NEA Council).
- Develop of the Realize Product Subsystem (RPSS) architecture.
- Support the NW Requirements Integration Office (NWRIO) analyzing impact of potential requirement to NW product realization.
- Engage external systems engineering partners and NNSA process and quality customers to improve interface processes that define our Realize Product Procedures.
- Consultant current weapons projects on 6.X product realization issues to assist in the weapon process and procedures need to for producing product.
This position is physically located in Albuquerque, NM or can accommodate virtual work from another location.
- Bachelor’s and advanced degree (Masters or Phd) in a relevant STEM discipline; or Bachelor's in a relevant STEM discipline plus 4 years relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Two years relevant experience.
- Active US DOE Q security clearance.
- Experience in the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) specific to weapon product realization.
- Familiarity with Nuclear Weapons programs, processes, and procedures.
- Proven and demonstrated effectiveness in building relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Experience in defining opportunities and delivering results when incomplete or ambiguous information is provided.
- Ability to assist with Model Based Systems Engineering (MSBE) team to improve the process and procedures.
- Ability to negotiate competing requirements to provide the best system level outcomes.
- Ability to apply strong interpersonal and communication skills working with a diverse team.
- Ability to perform in a highly collaborative and teaming environment with leadership, peers and customers.
- Ability to work independently as well as work well in multi-disciplinary team environment to build consensus and resolve issues.
- Self-motivated, positive individual comfortable working in an ever-changing environment.
- This position requires occasional travel.
Organization 2813, Nuclear Deterrence Governance and Engineering Process team, supports the Chief Engineer for Nuclear Weapons (CENW), Division 2000 Vice President (VP), and the NW line organizations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.