Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a highly motivated R&D S&E, Systems Engineer for the Air Delivered Weapon Systems and the Ballistic Missile tester development departments. You will be a vital team member in the design, development, qualification and deployment of complex system testers and test equipment in support of the Nuclear Weapons Complex. Specifically, these systems acquire and deliver data to the Nuclear Weapons Stockpile Surveillance Program. Our teams collaborate to employ innovative and leading-edge technologies in our day-to-day work.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Engage in the development of system or subsystem level requirements for testers
- Conduct technical tradeoff analyses to inform requirements and technical decisions
- Work with existing requirements management tools in the development and generation of integrated requirements documentation to meet tester needs and customer deliverables
- Participate\contribute on a high performing team in the development of conceptual test systems
- Collaborate with design engineers, other systems engineers, and domain authorities in the performance of design duties
- Implement and sustain requirements management and tracking tools and approaches into our ever-improving design processes
- Participate in the development and implementation of new systems engineering process for the departments that align with required corporate and Nuclear Weapons Product Realization requirements.
- Engage in opportunities to learn about the United States Nuclear Weapons complex and the important role of Sandia National Laboratories and the Surveillance Program.
- Be called upon to peer review other design efforts and concepts within the Labs.
Applicants may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several organizations at Sandia National Labs
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
- 5 years relevant experience
- Experience with systems engineering and requirements management obtained through either academic or professional experience
- Degree in systems engineering and the use and application of systems engineering principles throughout the full systems engineering life cycle;
- Experience in the development of SMART requirements including development of derived requirements;
- Experience in the functional decomposition of requirements and allocation to subsystems and modules;
- Experience with requirements management software tools (DOORs, TeamCenter, etc);
- Experience in the design, development, and qualification of complex testers and test systems;
- Experience and/or education in the design, development and qualification of pressure vessels and/or explosive containment structures;
- Proven ability to team across disciplines;
- Knowledge of the implementation of nuclear safety architectures;
- Active DOE Q-Level security clearance.
Departments 2255 and 2256 support the Stockpile Surveillance Program mission through design and development of new test systems used in the evaluation of new material and stockpiled weapons. These test system designs meet requirements formally developed and documented by program System Evaluation Engineers. Test results from this test equipment provide data to support independent assessment of the surety, safety, reliability, and quality attributes of nuclear weapons and their subsystems and components
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.