Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you dream of utilizing your expertise to craft creative solutions that solve significant issues for our nation’s security? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity.
You could be the Systems Engineer we are seeking to join our team of scientists, engineers, and technologists, contributing to the safe and efficient realization of scientific objectives on the Z Machine. Your principal focus will be the study and continued improvement of the Z SoS as an important and dynamic scientific enterprise based around a one-of-a-kind facility.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Team with others to study the Z Collaborative SoS
- Observe and interact with participants and constituent systems
- Use systems engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions as well as eventual mission characteristics and application
- Identify, create, and implement descriptive analyses and non-prescriptive tools that foster stronger communication between and encourage cooperation of the SoS participants
- Construct and implement novel approaches to observation and measurement of system-level properties of interest to diverse stakeholders with significantly different backgrounds and competencies
- You will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Your experience will include System-of-Systems (SoS) engineering problems, following the DoD Wave Model or equivalent SoS engineering methods
- Multidisciplinary technical knowledge (e.g., physics, engineering, modeling and simulation, etc.) and competencies conducive to ready teaming in the position
- Experience working in large-scale scientific research facilities and with large-scale scientific datasets
- Experience in multi-stakeholder design problems and multi-stakeholder negotiations
- Familiarity with research in socio-technical systems engineering
- Experience in operations research and industrial engineering
Department 01671, Z Mission Assurance, Execution, and Analytics, is a diverse, interdisciplinary team dedicated to ensuring the operational readiness, execution, and system-level analysis for High Energy Density Physics (HEDP) campaigns at Sandia National Laboratories’ Z Machine. By creating advanced software solutions, Department 01671 collaborates across Center 01600 to enhance organizational knowledge and productivity at the complex multi-stakeholder Z facility.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.