Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Systems Engineer to support the design, development, testing, and production of critical nuclear weapon components for the W88 ALT 370 Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) warhead. You will be self-directed and customer focused with strong interpersonal, teaming and analytical skills. The tasks for this position include planning and procurement of prototypes, test planning and execution, analysis of test data for design performance, design definition and documentation, clarification of requirements, and communication of program status to customers. You will be part of a tightly integrated team consisting of engineers and scientists working across SNL including nuclear weapon component design, modeling and simulation, flight testing, ground testing, and environmental qualification. This position also includes partnering closely with the Navy and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) customers to ensure a successful integration of the W88 ALT 370 into the deployed SLBM weapon system.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work with systems engineers from multiple Sandia National Labs (SNL), Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC), National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), Department of the Navy, Lockheed Martin, and Los Alamos National Labs (LANL) organizations to solve technical problems
- Resolve technical and programmatic production challenges in a collaborative manner with multiple internal and external agencies
- Support the testing and evaluation of prototype hardware
- Demonstrate technical leadership in identifying and managing technical risks
- Analyze system performance against requirements
- Support the completion of functional and interface component requirements
- Update design definition and documentation
- Assess, plan, and report progress relative to program plan
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or closely related field. Relevant work experience may be substituted for education: candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree must possess a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience to be considered for the position.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate, build and work effectively across technical teams, collaborate with customers and partners to resolve issues and conduct trade-offs to identify system solutions
- Demonstrated self-motivated effectiveness working in an environment with dynamic conditions, competing priorities, and firm deadlines
- An understanding of nuclear weapon design
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability and willingness to mentor less experience engineers
- Current & active DOE Q-level security clearance.
The W88ALT 370 Arming, Fuzing, and Firing (AF&F) department is responsible for the design, development, and integration of the AF&F components to extend the life of the W88-0/Mk 5 warhead for the United States Navy and to ensure the effectiveness of the Nation’s nuclear deterrent. A diverse staff supports this work with technical expertise in multiple engineering disciplines, program planning, and program management on an integrated team to design, develop, test, qualify, and produce the W88 ALT 370 AF&F.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.