Sandia National Laboratories R&D Software Engineer - Remote Sensing & Data Acquisition (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation's security!
We are seeking motivated software engineers (R&D Computer Science) to join our team of designing, implementing, testing, and deploying innovative software frameworks and data processing. Our work encompasses a wide variety of topics within computer science and software development, including:
- Real-time data processing
- Object-oriented software frameworks/architecture development
- Image/signal processing algorithms
- Networked and distributed architectures
- Human-computer Interaction (HCI) and UI development
- Data visualization
- Testing and validation frameworks
- Machine Learning
Our work is incorporated into complex real-time decision support systems for remote sensing and other data acquisition and analysis applications. The selected applicant will assume major responsibilities for the research, development, and engineering of unique software solutions to solve challenging technical problems in the areas above. This role will require occasional travel.
- Bachelors and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in related field (prefer Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering) with a strong background in Software Engineering
- 3, or more, years related real-world experience
- Proven strong software development skills and familiarity with modern software development methodologies, practices, and tools
- Experience with object-oriented software development, preferably C++, as well as experience with Unix/Linux operating environments
- Experience with Cloud based development and technologies
- Current DOE clearance (or equivalent) and can obtain an SCI clearance, which may require polygraph testing
- Experience with image and signal processing
- Experience with remote sensing systems
- Experience with HCI, UI development, and data visualization
- Experience with modern graphics programming (OpenGL)
- Relevant experience in scientific/engineering data processing software development
- Experience in real-time signal processing of sensor data
- Experience with detection, tracking, and classification algorithms
- A proven ability to develop and communicate ideas and results in oral and written form and work in team environments
The Real Time Data Processing Department develops software, algorithms, and distributed networked computer systems for real-time extraction of static and dynamic events from high throughput, high volume data streams. Skills within the department include signal and image processing; statistical inference; data fusion; image registration; image compression; pattern recognition; radiometric calibration; compressive sensing; human-computer interfaces; data visualization; and design, implementation, deployment, operational user support, and maintenance of collaborative decision support systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.