Sandia National Laboratories RD Software Engineer Java/C++ (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ready to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security? Passionate about the protection of critical assets and other high value targets? Join our dynamic team and make a difference!
We are seeking R&D Computer Science professionals and the Systems Mission Engineering Center (Org. 6300) is looking for YOU! The selected applicant will bring strong software design/development skills to join highly productive teams that research and develop innovative solutions to a broad spectrum of problems of national importance. The successful candidate will enjoy collaborating in an innovating environment to architect, design, develop, test, and deploy advanced data processing software for complex, real-time decision support systems.
On any given day, the selected candidate may be called on to:
- Work on an Agile team to develop software systems which solve the most challenging remote sensing problems, including the capture, processing, exploitation, visualization and distribution of real-time satellite sensor data
- Work collaboratively with architects, developers, technical leads, customers, and end users to collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver extensible software applications
- Contribute to deeply rewarding missions through engagement with diverse computer science specialties and specialists in areas such as data fusion, signal and image processing, analytics, cloud computing, machine learning, modeling and simulation, service oriented architectures, data management and visualization, and pattern recognition
You may be interviewed and hired into one of several departments within our center.
- Undergraduate and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in related STEM field; a bachelor's degree in relevant STEM field plus four years' experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree
- Experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- Experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., C++, Java and Python)
- Can obtain DOE Q clearance
- Knowledge and experience with implementation of the full software development process using Agile or Iterative methodologies
- Experience using a subset of the following: system engineering, hardware and software architecture, distributed system design, data exploitation/mining/fusion algorithms, digital signal processing, image processing, optical systems, command and control systems, numerical analysis, modeling and simulation, relational/object/geographic database technologies, user interfaces, scientific data visualization, web services technologies, and multi-core/GPU/parallel computing
- Proficiency in a subset of the following: requirements capture, software modeling using UML, systems-level software testing, high consequence anomaly resolution, documentation and training, information assurance, and deployment of delivered systems
- Experience with Docker containers, Jenkins continuous integration, and continuous delivery approaches to software development and deployment in cloud-based environments
- Proven ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
- Critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation; teaming; self-starting
- Can obtain a SCI clearance, which may require polygraph testing
Our team is responsible for the design and development of advanced mission data processing systems and analytical applications that enable some of our nation's most compelling nonproliferation and national security missions. Our mission is to design, engineer, build, deploy and enhance essential systems that transform data into decisions. Our systems are targeted for a range of applications and complexity including: remote and in-situ sensing systems; satellite communications and control; distributed computing and analysis; real-time data collection, processing, exploitation and dissemination; and mission engineering and analysis.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.