Sandia National Laboratories R&D Shock Test Support Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? We are seeking a R&D Laboratory Support Technologist join our dynamic team and help tackle some of the most complicated issues facing our nation’s security!
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Support or lead shock experiments
- Lead in identification and implementation of technical laboratory improvements
- Maintain performance of shock test equipment
- Maintain ES&H documentation and operational procedures
- Handle equipment calibration
- Associates degree in a technical field or a combination of education and experience
- Experience with basic laboratory test equipment and various instrumentation and test set up
- Experience in maintaining laboratory test documentation
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- Experience with laboratory test equipment as well as, mechanical shock test techniques and equipment, drop tables and pyro shock simulation techniques (resonant plates and beams)
- Knowledge of basic level of structural dynamics, mode shapes, resonant frequencies, and shock data interpretation
- Experience with MATLAB.
- Experience with ES&H documentation processes and familiarity with updated Work Planning & Controls processes
- Experience with high consequence safety operations, explosive and radioactive related processes
- Active DOE Q clearance
The Experimental Solid Mechanics Department 1528 is part of the Engineering Sciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. Our center is the steward of engineering mechanics for Sandia and we are dedicated to solving our customer’s most pressing and important national security problems. Our department specializes in experimental technologies related to structural mechanics and mechanics of materials. With our state of the art experimental technologies, technical expertise, and analytical capabilities in sister departments, we provide integrated customer solutions in the following areas: mechanical characterization of materials, components, and structures in normal or abnormal environments; development and application of state-of-the-art experimental and diagnostic techniques for scientific and mission impacts; and integration of analytical, computational, and experimental efforts for engineering solutions to national security problems. Our mission is to use the research-development-application (R-D-A) spectrum for physical discovery, model development and validation, and qualification and acceptance for nuclear weapons, defense, energy, and other applications.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include; 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.