Sandia National Laboratories R&D Senior Manager - Global Engineered Security Systems in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Passionate about your work and aspire to explore solutions with a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security? Join our team and make a difference!
We are seeking a Senior Manager to amplify Global Engineered Security System (GESS) Group’s ability to understand and counter associated risks with weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and high-consequence illicit activities and materials. This role manages four departments and over 80 employees who have extensive knowledge and experience in global national security risk management and provide the analytical bases along with the technical and the operational expertise to anticipate, characterize, provide policy advice for and develop and implement solutions to mitigate systems-level risks.
The selected candidate will establish and maintain trust-based relationships with sponsors and partners from DOE/NNSA, Department of State, various foreign government, and international non-governmental organizations You will actively manage and develop managers and staff who often travel internationally, including travel to undeveloped and high-risk countries.
The Senior Manager is expected to understand GESS and Sandia mission space to lead the group and engage with peers in the Center, Division, and across Sandia to support and advocate for our collaborative work with domestic and foreign partners. On any given day you may be called upon to:
- Represent GESS programs and mission space to internal and external partners
- Oversee management of program resources, SNL capabilities, and personnel to effectively and efficiently meet customer needs with integrity, quality, and expertise
- Ensure a safe and healthy workplace and the safety and security of employees traveling domestically and internationally
- Provide expert opinion, evaluation, and advice to other SNL programs and mission areas
- Provide cost, schedule, scope, and performance data and metrics for projects
- Partner with your colleagues to initiate, develop and execute group, center, division, and lab-wide plans and strategies
- Graduate (Masters or PhD) degree in a relevant field
- 10 years relevant experience, including five or more years managerial experience
- Demonstrated programmatic leadership and development
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Active DOE clearance, or equivalent, and ability to acquire a Q clearance with SCI access
- Outstanding communication (written, verbal, public speaking) and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to develop and mentor others and to establish and maintain strong and effective relations
- Practical experience with systems-level technical analysis and/or physical protection systems for high consequence systems
- Experience leading programs for NNSA and other government agencies
- Experience working with foreign governments
- Travel experience to countries with elevated risks
- Basic understanding of nuclear weapons or weapons of mass destruction
We anticipate and characterize the global security environment; research, develop, and apply innovative systems-based solutions; and build partnerships that strengthen the nonproliferation regime and reduce global risks to US national security. Working with a diverse set of customers and partners, our efforts have impact in over 120 countries.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.