Sandia National Laboratories R&D S&E, Electrical Engineering (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a highly-motivated R&D Electrical Engineer to support a portfolio of high-visibility, fast-paced engineering and science projects assessing the safety, reliability, and performance of Sandia-designed systems.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Plan, conceive, conduct, or manage research and development for Sandia’s customers and sponsors.
- Direct detailed study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts and discover new approaches to attaining goals.
- Create new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method’s hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Use engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
- Undertake creative work, making detailed use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.
- Bachelor’s degree AND advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a relevant science or engineering discipline and five years of directly related experience.
- Ability to obtain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
This position will require travel up to 20%.
- Experience in the following areas: surveillance, engineering drawing and authorization system, product development and qualification, testing and evaluation, modeling and simulation.
- Demonstrated ability to work on challenging engineering problems in a fast-paced collaborative team environment that requires extensive cross-organizational and multi-disciplinary teaming.
- Experience with project management discipline and tools.
- Experience with SNL NW Product Realization Process.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written – clear, concise, and effective.
The W76-0/W88 Stockpile Systems Engineering team supports the nuclear deterrence mission through annual assessment of the systems’ safety and reliability and provides design agency engineering support for the production agencies. This department partners with organizations across the Laboratory – including other systems groups, stockpile surveillance, materials research, science and engineering, and computational modeling and simulation – to design and execute aging, reliability, and safety studies. In addition, this department partners with external stakeholders, including the National Nuclear Security Administration, Department of Defense and its contractors, Los Alamos National Laboratory, as well as the Kansas City National Security Campus and Pantex production plants, to ensure the continued success of the W76-0/Mk4 and W88/Mk5 missions. We also provide engineering support to the W76-1/Mk4A and to the UK for the Trident Weapon System and advanced technology programs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.