Sandia National Laboratories R&D RF/Computer Engineer-Embedded Signal Processors (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an engineer whose primary focus will be the design and delivery of specialized radio frequency (RF) centric special communication systems. It is crucial to have an in-depth understanding of mixed-signal (RF, analog, digital) systems which enables the optimization, and troubleshooting of these special communication systems. Our systems are based on advanced signaling techniques and ultra-low power RF receiver/transmitter designs. Successful candidates will become part of a multi-discipline, success oriented high-performance team. The ability to work effectively on both small and large system development teams (two-to-ten members) is a must. Good communication and documentation skills, great presentation skills with interest and ability to interact with internal and external customers are also necessary skills to perform successfully in this position.
Job duties include:
- requirements development,
- Digital signal processing,
- Signal analysis
- developmental testing and troubleshooting,
- qualification/acceptance testing process development and execution,
- system deployment support,
- and system sustainment activities.
This position requires occasional travel within the Continental U.S. Projects range from very fast paced, quick reaction requests in response to real-world driven needs to longer term, life-critical efforts with rigorous development requirements. Also, must motivated by being part of a highly successful project team delivering systems that impact our National Security.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s in Computer or Electrical Engineering or relevant STEM discipline;
- Experience in the design and realization of real-time digital signal processing systems;
- Experience with C++ and/or Python.
- Ability to develop and map complex DSP algorithms into hardware and software architectures;
- Ability to implement advanced DSP architectures into fielded systems while meeting aggressive time schedules and size, weight, power, and cost constraints;
- Experience in performing signal-to-noise analysis in complex RF communication systems;
- Experience in performing link budget calculations and transmitter/receiver cascade calculations; this includes understanding antenna gain, calculating atmosphere loss, bit error rates, etc.;
- High-level mathematical skills;
- Experience with multiple FPGA architectures.
Embedded Signal Processors develops and delivers innovative and specialized communications systems that require high reliability and high performance. The department specializes in RF communication system design, RF circuit design, reconfigurable digital signal processing utilizing leading edge FPGA technology, general purpose microprocessors, high density memories, high speed serial communication devices along with custom ASIC devices. Most product development includes architecture, design and thorough testing of subsystem level components along with supporting higher level system integration when applicable.
The department has a diverse skill set including:
- RF circuit design
- signal analysis
- digital signal processing
- embedded software
- digital FPGA designs
Design expertise includes highly miniaturized electronics, power efficient transceivers, signal extraction in very low signal-to-noise environments, and signal analysis of RF and communication systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT