Sandia National Laboratories R&D Physics (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security!
The individual selected for this position will become a key member of the team at the Shock Thermodynamics Applied Research (STAR) Facility. You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in planning, preparing for, and executing experiments. You will have an active role in the day-to-day operation of the facility.
On any given day you may be called on to:
- Support research launcher operations including test setup and execution
- Play an active role in fielding a wide variety of diagnostics, including laser-based velocimetry and high-speed video
- Perform analysis and interpretation of experimental data to assess the quality of the data and experimental results
- Collaborate with scientists to design future tests and work with design engineers and local production facilities to acquire test hardware
- Lead dynamic material property research projects
- Lead an effort to modernize control systems within the facility
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Physics, or related field
- Experience conducting experimental research on material properties
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to prepare effective documentation as demonstrated by publications in scientific journals or internal memos/reports/operating procedures
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Experience with shock physics experimental techniques for determination of material equation of state and strength
- Experience operating gas guns for research purposes
- Experience working with laser-based velocimetry (PDV or VISAR)
- Experience working with high-speed data acquisition systems (5-20 GHz)
- Demonstrated software programming skills in Matlab or LabView
- Experience constructing advanced PDV systems incorporating time and frequency multiplexing
- Design ability using CAD software such as SolidWorks or equivalent
- Experience with high speed videography (200 kfps and up)
- Familiarity using hydrocodes such as CTH, ALEGRA, ALE3D, or equivalent for experimental design or analysis
- Research experience in the area of material fracture and fragmentation
The Solid Dynamics Experiments Department at Sandia National Laboratories is responsible for research and development in the area of high-pressure physics. Areas of interest range from equation of state of solids and fluids to properties of heterogeneous, energetic, and other advanced materials. The department operates two facilities: the Shock Thermodynamics Applied Research (STAR) Facility and the Dynamic Integrated Compression Experimental (DICE) Facility. STAR operates several high velocity launchers and DICE one launcher and two pulsed power machines. The department works closely with two other departments, High Energy Density Physics (HEDP) Theory and Dynamic Material Properties, a part of the HED Material Physics Group, in turn a part of the Pulsed Power Sciences Center.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include; 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.