Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Production Engineer (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security? If so, you are one of the R&D Mechanical Engineers we seek. As part of the precision mechanical systems group, you’ll help craft unique solutions that assure national security through design, analysis and realization of hardware to support satellite, airborne, and ground based systems.
On any given day, you would be expected to:
- Apply understanding of mechanical and manufacturing engineering principles to execute subsystem and program deliverables.
- Support the design, assembly, integration, testing, and documentation of a subsystem requiring full flight rigor.
- Work in a laboratory setting.
- Utilize effective teaming skills working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Utilize advanced modeling tools to solve complex engineering challenges.
- Design and oversee fabrication of custom fixtures to assist in assembly, integration, and testing of subsystems.
- Gather information, perform assessments and studies, document model results, identify emerging areas of opportunity, and execute day-to-day support activities.
- Develop subsystem test plans and map to requirements verification.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to facilitate the resolution of complex problems.
To maximize versatility and long-term impact to the organization, an individual is sought that also has the training and desire to work more generally as a production engineer. This position will offer you substantial opportunity for training, technical mentorship, and work across multiple nation security programs. Some travel is required.
- Master’s in mechanical engineering or a related discipline; or Bachelor’s in a related STEM discipline plus 4 years’ experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q security clearance
Ideally, your background would also include some of the following:
- Experience utilizing microscopes, laser scanners, or other inspection tools.
- Experience documenting processes and procedures such as work instructions.
- Experience using configuration management tools and change control processes.
- Knowledge of lean six sigma tools and approaches.
- Experience in the design, development, and production of mechanical, electromechanical, or optomechanical products.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to prepare clearly written reports and briefings.
- Ability to interact well with diverse teams.
- Experience with SolidWorks and Creo Software.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and tolerance analysis.
- Active DOE Q security clearance.
We are a part of a mechanical engineering group that supports the full breadth of Sandia missions ranging from Nuclear Deterrence to Strategic Partnership Projects. Our department has a focus in the realization of precision mechanical systems that support SPP, Satellite and Science programs. We execute the full development cycle from requirements analysis through design, realization and test of optomechanical, electromechanical and mechanical systems. We have a diverse team with wide ranges of skills and experience, and we value critical thinking skills and good mechanical insight.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.