Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer - Vibration/Acoustics (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to support current mission areas and advance experimental capabilities to provide state of the art capability for future needs. This role offers the opportunity to work collaboratively with on many challenging and innovative projects, identify and implement technical and operational laboratory improvements, and contribute to technical publications.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct component and system level testing to support all Sandia programs as required, including nuclear weapons, non-proliferation, and a variety of other customers
- Provide technical guidance to laboratory technologists
- Perform quality mechanical testing for customers
- Support the development and execution of test specifications to ensure test units are exposed to the correct environments
- Implement work planning and control processes to assure safe, secure, and high-quality operations
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related STEM field
- Experience with structural dynamics, solid mechanics, and/or non-destructive evaluation such as radiography
- Experience with basic laboratory test equipment, including data acquisition equipment, signal conditioners, and measurement sensors
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q/Sigma clearance
- Experience with structural dynamics test development, including familiarity with classical dynamic, structural and non-destructive evaluation equipment, test setup, and data acquisition systems
- Experience with advanced data or image processing techniques
- Experience and familiarity with Work Instructions and non-conformance reports
- Experience with work planning and controls processes
- Experience with high consequence safety operations, including explosive and radioactive related processes
- Ability to interpret, organize, and document experimental results
- Excellent personal interaction skills with management and technologists
- The ability to work effectively in a close team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Active DOE L or Q clearance
The Vibration and Acoustics Simulation Department conducts vibration, acoustic, and mass properties environment testing to simulate normal, hostile, and abnormal environments in support of fundamental research, model validation, development, qualification, and acceptance for nuclear weapons, satellites, national missile defense, and other applications.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT