Sandia National Laboratories RD, Mechanical Engineer - Strategic Firing Subsystems (Entry/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Strategic Firing Subsystems Department (02625) has need for a dedicated R&D Mechanical Engineering to support the development, specification, and testing of mechanical components for the W88 ALT370 Firing Subsystem. The tasks for this position include clarification of requirements, planning and procurement of prototypes, test planning, analysis of test/ simulation data for design performance, design definition and documentation, and communication of program status and engineering data to customers and Sandia management. You'll be part of a tightly integrated team working to create, design, develop, qualify, and produce the firing subsystems to support Department of Energy and Department of Defense activities. This position offers the opportunity to learn and experience engineering across Sandia and the NNSA enterprise as well as taking part in the primary mission of the Lab. You will be self-directed; customer-focused, and have strong teaming and analytical skills. It is expected that the engineer will increase their level of responsibility and ownership with experience. You may travel up to twice per month as needed.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Support the completion of functional and interface component requirements
- Update designs and documentation
- Support the testing and evaluation of development and pre-production hardware
- Work with production agency to characterize and fix performance issues
- Technical leadership in identifying and handling technical risks
- Analyze system performance against requirements
- Assess, plan, and report progress relative to program plans
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Mechanical Engineering with an undergraduate degree in a related science, technology, engineering or mathematics discipline.
- Able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-Level security clearance.
- Knowledge of the NNSA configuration management and engineering authorization (EA) system
- Demonstrated ability to develop products within the Nuclear Weapon Realize Product Subsystem
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience in system engineering of large and complex systems
- Demonstrated ability to work within teams that cross technical disciplines
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in an environment with dynamic conditions, competing priorities, and firm deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Active DOE or DOD security clearance
The Strategic Firing Subsystems Department 2625 has responsibilities for firing subsystems used on U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force nuclear weapon systems. These products are reliable, operate in extreme environments and have a high performance consequence. The department has life-cycle product responsibility to design, develop, validate, qualify, produce, monitor, assess and dispose. We provide engineering support for our products including production, surveillance, significant finding investigations, and improving our technical basis for understanding performance. Current work activities include support for the W88 ALT 370 program, support for the W87 program and advanced development activities. The staff is a creative, competent multidisciplinary team with skills in systems engineering, electrical and mechanical design, performance verification, and project management.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.