R&D Mechanical Engineer - NM Advanced & Exploratory (Experienced)
Job ID: 691173Apply Now
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
What Your Job Will Be Like:
New Mexico’s Advanced & Exploratory Demonstrator Systems department (2433) is seeking a self-driven mechanical engineering lead to join our fast-paced, dynamic, multidisciplinary, and future-focused team to support technology and capability maturation and demonstration to shape and inform both current and future ND systems. The ideal candidate will be motivated to deliver flight hardware that will mature science and technologies for the benefit of future nuclear deterrent programs. They should be able to navigate technical and programmatic risks to meet tight schedule deadlines. Effective communication and partnership with external agencies will also be required.The selected candidate will lead all technical aspects associated with flight system mechanical design and guide the rest of the mechanical team to deliver flight grade hardware. As leader of the mechanical team, you will develop mechanical definition, procure hardware, coordinate thermal and mechanical analyses, guide test planning and test activities and requirements verification.
On any given day you will be called on to:• Develop of the payload layout and definition• Interact with and define interface definition for experiment owners or stakeholders.• Coordinate and support payload integration activities that include assembly, testing, and troubleshooting• Support launch for the flight tests
External partners include our DOD stakeholders (USN and USAF), DOE/NNSA, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, the United Kingdom’s Atomic Weapons Establishment, and the Kansas City National Security Campus.
We also partner across Sandia with a variety of component, design definition, test and evaluation, foundational research, computational simulation, and intelligence analysis organizations.
Qualifications We Require:
• Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant subject area plus five years of proven experience• Previous working relationship with external partners (e.g. AWE, NNSA, LANL, LLNL, KCNSC)• Experience designing and delivering hardware for ND applications• Active DOE Q-clearance and willingness to obtain additional security clearances as required
Qualifications We Desire:
• Demonstrated system testing, integration and troubleshooting experience• Demonstrated experience fielding and delivering flight-ready hardware• Experience with instrumentation, data collection, processing, and analysis• Demonstrated proficiency using CAD software (Creo or Solidworks)• Demonstrated proficiency in mass properties management• Experience leading system trade studies• Experience coordinating environmental test activities• Experience coordinating computational modeling and simulation activities• Proven ability to integrate, build, and work effectively across technical teams, collaborate with customers and suppliers to resolve issues, and conduct tradeoffs to identify system solutions• Experience within the ND A&E mission area• Excellent written and verbal communication skills• Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment, adapting to changing priorities and sometimes vague requirements• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, manage, and execute multiple projects within appropriate scope, budget, and timeframe• Demonstrated experience as a successful and effective project leader• Demonstrated commitment to developing yourself and your skill set• Ability and willingness to travel at least once per quarter, as needed (domestically and, occasionally, internationally)• Active SCI clearance
About Our Team:
New Mexico A&E Demonstrator Systems (2433) is a dynamic, multidisciplinary team that anticipates the future, identifies, pairs, and integrates technologies and capabilities to shape and inform both current and future ND systems. System demonstrators allow us to prove technology interfaces early, driving down uncertainty and reducing risks to weapons programs.
While preparing the nation to meet immediate and emerging threats, our concepts are inherently agile and resilient. This critical demonstrator work to advance component design and assess readiness helps us understand the trade space, accept risks early, and adjust quickly. We collaborate across Sandia, partnering with other A&E departments, as well as external entities. Core elements of readiness to meet the nation's future ND needs include:
• a deep understanding of the threat environment,• fostering innovation across technologies and capabilities to shape and inform future objectives,• engaging the full force of Sandias science and technology, integrating technologies and capabilities for demonstration and de-risking in lab, ground, and flight environments.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start, or equivalent active security clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD). Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
NNSA Requirements for MedPEDs:
If you have a Medical Portable Electronic Device (MedPED), such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, drug-releasing pump, hearing aids, or diagnostic equipment and other equipment for measuring, monitoring, and recording body functions such as heartbeat and brain waves, if employed by Sandia National Laboratories you may be required to comply with NNSA security requirements for MedPEDs.
If you have a MedPED and you are selected for an on-site interview at Sandia National Laboratories, there may be additional steps necessary to ensure compliance with NNSA security requirements prior to the interview date.
Job ID: 691173
Life in New Mexico
- Affordable housing, reasonable cost of living
- Minimal traffic congestion compared to larger cities
- Outdoor recreation - Ski, snowboard, hike, etc.
- Experience rich culture and history
- International Balloon Fiesta
- Green chile – NM Cuisine
- Museums, Parks, Sports
Learn more about Life in Albuquerque, New Mexico