Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer-Missile Defense (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Mechanical or Aerospace Engineer to design and develop advanced concepts and mission payloads for missile defense applications. You will join a department that designs advanced concept systems for missile defense applications, partners across the lab to determine the feasibility and technology requirements for fielding a flight system. You would also be integrated into a team that is developing, testing and flying mission payloads. The department is within a center at Sandia that builds and flight-tests advanced aerospace concepts to address national defense needs. In addition to hardware design and development, the department performs wide-ranging analyses of aerospace systems for internal and external customers.
On any given day, you may be required to:
- Lead the design, build, integration, test, and flight of prototype missile and propulsion systems and subsystems
- Lead multi-disciplinary analysis and design efforts across multiple programs
- Design and fly custom hardware in a fast paced, challenging environment
- Develop concepts and analyze trades for mission payloads
- Bachelor's and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Aeronautical/Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- Two or more years demonstrated mechanical design experience.
- Current and active DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Experience with Missile and booster technologies.
- Experience interfacing and working with DOD customers.
- Experience with mechanical design software, such as SOLIDWORKS or ProE.
- Experience in qualification environments testing (e.g. shock and vibe, mass properties, thermal, etc.).
- Experience performing solid mechanics and structural dynamics analysis.
- Knowledge of propulsion systems.
The Advanced Concepts and Mission Payloads department is focused on defining advanced technology concepts and future target mission requirements in support of Missile, Air and Space Defense programs. Additionally, the department tests concepts both experimentally and in flight to deliver modeling and simulation truth data, while providing mission payloads in support of Missile Defense Agency's (MDA) Ballistic Missile Defense System.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT