Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer in support of rocket motors and missile systems. You will perform conceptualization, design, analysis, design definition, fabrication oversight, assembly/integration, flight certification testing and supporting fielding operations all within a team-focused environment. You may need to travel to support program interactions, system integration activities and flight testing at remote test facilities.
- Your background includes an undergraduate degree and advanced (Masters or PhD) degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Aeronautical Engineering; a bachelor’s degree plus 4 years related experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
You will bring two or more years' experience with the following skills:
Mechanical Design & Component Realization
- Structural Analysis & Modeling
- Design Definition, Configuration Management, Requirements development and tracking
- You possess at least a DOE L clearance, or DOD equivalent
Your background should also include:
- Project Leadership Experience.
- Thermal Analysis and Modeling
- Structural Dynamics, Vibration Theory, Modal Analysis, Isolation Design
- Dynamics & Kinematics
- Mechanical Ground Support Systems Design, Development and Use
- Explosives Training and Handling
- Propulsion Systems, solid rocket motors, hypergolic systems, cold gas systems
- Thrust Vector Systems Experience, Hydraulic, Electromechanical, etc
- Crane & Rigging, Fork Lift certification and experience
- Validated experience working in a Team Environment
- Current and active DOE Q security clearance
Our team, the Missile Systems department, leads and supports programs associated with the support of the country’s needs. Your work enables the development of Missile Defense Systems, Conventional Prompt Strike Systems, R&D Rocket Systems, as well as Responsive Low Earth Orbit Launch Vehicles. We assume responsibility for the design, development, and demonstration of various missile and launch vehicle systems by applying individual technologies and combining them into system level solutions that meet the needs of the customer. Your work will be dynamic and involves extensive interaction within Sandia as well as outside agencies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.