Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that helps tackle some of the most challenging issues facing our nation’s security?
You could be the mechanical engineer to join the engineering/design teams that transform scientists’ high energy density physics ideas and requirements into precision hardware to be shot on Z, the world’s most powerful electrical device. While engineering fundaments are necessary, success in this position is largely dependent on the desire and ability to communicate effectively with all elements of the hardware realization cycle. After learning the operations, processes, and stakeholders involved, the individual may be called on to assume leadership of one of the three design realization teams.
On any given day, you will engage in:
- Developing design requirements with a Principle Investigator to meet their research objectives.
- Precision mechanical design of Z experimental hardware and sub-systems using a variety of tools, including three-dimensional solid modeling software;
- Working with an experienced on-site manufacturing and assembly team to implement solutions and improvements;
- Facilitating in the development solutions to a range of technical and logistical problems;
- Creating layouts, drawings, and illustrations to enable fabrication of experimental hardware;
- Frequent interactions with physicists, technical experts, designers, technologists, etc. as part of a dynamic team providing leading-edge scientific outcomes for national programs.
Are you ready for your next challenge? Join our team and achieve your dreams while making a difference.
- You will have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in relevant STEM discipline, or a Bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline and engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q Level Security Clearance
- Experience with mechanical design of precision systems
- Proficient in SolidWorks
- Proficient in CREO
- Familiarity with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Demonstrated communication skills, both oral and written
- Familiarity with pulsed power systems, high voltage systems
- Knowledge of precision manufacturing techniques and operations
- Motivated team member who readily accepts new tasks and challenges
- Demonstrated ability to manage and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner
Load and Target Hardware Department 1692 engineers, designs, manages fabrication, and documents all Z machine physics-centric experimental hardware in close partnership with scientific investigators. The Department engages with entities who manufacture the high-precision components for the various physics-based test components. We are a team of engineers, designers, and technologists working together in a dynamic environment developing new experimental hardware designs and interacting with scientists that work on the Z pulsed power facility on research in the areas of atomic physics, shock physics, radiation transport, planetary science, and inertial confinement fusion. We work closely with Z’s Principal Investigator community on the use of surface coatings, surface coating processes, and hardware designs towards improving performance, reliability, and repeatability of science experiments conducted on the nation’s premier pulsed power facility.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.