Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer at Sandia (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about research and development that supports national security missions in a variety of high impact areas? Do you dream of developing advanced design concepts in support of national security objectives? If so, you will want to apply for this opportunity to join a team of creative thinkers in applying mechanical engineering skills to help secure our nation. Opportunities are available at the Bachelor's, Master's, and graduate level.
As part of this diverse multidisciplinary team, you will work alongside world-class authorities and emerging leaders and use your skills in any of the following:
- Aerodynamics and aerospace
- Applied mechanics
- Code development for finite elements
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Dynamics & kinematics
- Field and lab testing and product integration
- Finite element analysis
- Fluid mechanics, including microfluidics
- Heat transfer and thermal analysis
- Material selection and fabrication oversight
- Mechanical design, testing, and control including components as well as systems
- Modeling, simulation, and visualization of mechanical systems
- Production and manufacturing
- System assembly and infrastructure analysis
Based on your interests, you will improve national security by engaging in areas that could include:
- Additive manufacturing
- Advanced weapon concepts
- Autonomous systems
- Blast on structures
- Energetics and explosives
- Energy program enhancement and protection
- Hypersonic flight vehicles
- Hypervelocity impact
- Novel materials
- Nuclear deterrence
- Packaging for mechanical shock
- Power sources
- Product realization
- Propulsion systems
- Radar systems
- Remote sensing
- Satellite systems
- Thermal protection design
This position may require travel to support current efforts and identify new opportunities for growing our capabilities and impact.
When applying to this requisition, you may be interviewed and/or hired by one of several multi-disciplinary teams providing mechanical engineering expertise.
- Master’s in a related discipline; or Bachelor’s in a related discipline plus 4 years’ experience
- Experience and/or academic training in mechanical engineering
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Physics, or Material Science/Engineering
- Experience in space, flight, and/or weapon systems
- Experience in a subset of the following: mechanical design, modeling & simulation, systems integration, environmental test, product development, GD&T, CAD tools, programming, controls
- Experience working effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment
- Ability to understand a variety of technical disciplines
- Superb communication, teamwork, and people skills with demonstrable ability to perform effectively in a teaming environment
- Critical thinking, synthesis and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize, lead, and complete projects within appropriate scope and timeframe
- Ability to obtain an SCI clearance
Most systems involved in national security are complex electrical-mechanical systems. The overwhelming presence of mechanical engineers at Sandia demonstrates the importance of their role in solving complex technical challenges to national security across a diverse spectrum of mission areas. The breadth and depth of our mechanical engineering experts allow them to develop and deliver creative solutions to enable the continued success of Sandia's programs across a diverse spectrum of mission areas.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.