Sandia National Laboratories R&D Manager-Systems Design & Architecture (06327) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art concepts to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a R&D Manager to lead the Systems Design & Architecture Department (6327). We architect, engineer and develop advanced, high-performance, large-scale geographically distributed hardware and software systems for complex, high-consequence real-time decision support. Your team is responsible for computing environments for a pathfinding architecture that can support the data processing of multiple remote sensors. The team is also responsible for providing leadership and coordination of the System Team and a software development team that work in strong partnership with 9320 and 9360. Your group is also responsible for managing competencies of system design, hardware and software architecture, frameworks and Agile techniques.
We have significant experience in designing and implementing cloud-computing architectures, advanced networking and computing technologies, virtualization and real-time software development. We are leaders in maximizing performance of cloud computing environments, using high end servers with GPUs to run executables based off millions of lines of code. We process terabytes of near real-time data daily, extracting information and providing it to national decision makers. The department currently provides core technical competencies for the Decision Support Systems (DSS) 6320 group and enables program execution in the Advanced Systems Program Office (ASPO) 6330 business area.
While you currently have a focus on program execution in the ASPO program area, you will also work to establish strategic partnerships with departments in other mission areas, such as Remote Sensing and Verification and Cyber and Infrastructure Security, to deliver robust software or hardware solutions for space based sensing platforms and data analytics. To that end, you will develop and execute a strategic plan to maintain appropriate staff resources and skills. The department consists of multidisciplinary staff with expertise focused in both architecture/infrastructure design and software development. It is pathfinding new architectures that enable other teams to demonstrate them for successful ground segment deliveries.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work with staff and management to help develop and implement a strategic plan that provides execution of planned and future work
- Own and guide the department vision in researching and developing cutting edge ground segment architectures, as well as developing the next generation of continuous integration workflows
- Establish and maintain key partnerships (including Space Mission, Remote Sensing and Verification, Surveillance & Reconnaissance and IO organizations) to research, develop, and engineer one-of-a-kind software solutions
- Address current program needs while also developing and articulating a future vision for the capabilities of the organization in close partnership with laboratory partners
- Lead career development of staff
- Ensure that customer needs are satisfied by managing and coordinating specific work, overall program and project plans, budgets, structures, schedules, and staffing requirements as needed
- Engage in research and technology communities for identifying future opportunities, increasing visibility of the department’s core capabilities, and identifying, recruiting and developing the next generation of leaders in the discipline
- Coordinate employee recruitment, selection, training, performance assessment, work assignments, recognition and career growth and satisfaction actions
- Responsible for the execution of work utilizing Agile methodologies including Scrum and Scalable Agile Framework (SAFe) and fill Business Owner and other SAFe roles as needed
- Ensure consistent alignment to laboratory standards and guidelines related to safety, security and quality
The position requires occasional travel
- You have a Bachelor’s, Master's, or PhD degree in related discipline plus five or more years of experience, or equivalent education and experience (Associates plus 9 years or no degree plus 13 years)
- You can obtain a required US DOE issued Q clearance and SCI clearance, which may require passing a polygraph test
Ideally, your background will also include:
- Experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of the job
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience: for example, mentored and led an organization/team on goals and objectives; effectively led people, and guided multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to handle ambiguity and develop strategic direction in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with cloud computing architectures
- Familiarity with modern software development practices/tools. Relevant experience in scientific/engineering software development, testing, and delivery
- Experience providing integrated engineering solutions in support of high consequence national security missions, to include the inception, elaboration, construction, and deployment of advanced information systems
- Experience in large-scale, enterprise-level distributed software and hardware real-time systems, particularly for remote sensing systems
- Experience in successfully interacting with and influencing a variety of stakeholders, customers, industry partners, management and staff
- Experience implementing and adopting the use of Agile techniques for software development (SAFe and Scrum)
- Consistent track record of writing technical proposals, presenting these proposals to potential customers, and getting work funded
- Experience or knowledge of National Security Space Innovations mission area
- Demonstrated ability to work across Sandia's program and organizational structures
- A history of establishing and maintaining trusted partnerships
- Demonstrated interest and success in recruiting, hiring, and developing/mentoring new personnel
- Knowledge of Sandia’s technical base, organization and policies
- Established network and partnerships within Sandia
- Previous management experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Active DOE Q clearance with SCI clearance
The Systems Design & Architecture Department architects, engineers, and develops advanced, one-of-a-kind data processing software and large-scale geographically distributed hardware and software systems for complex, real-time decision support systems using extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of mission and domain specific science and technology. We have significant experience in enabling and executing continuous integration, designing and implementing cloud-computing architectures, advanced networking and computing technologies, virtualization and real-time software development. We are the main architects that understand the system and both the internal and external users’ needs. Using this information, we create a vision and lead the execution towards realizing it.
Decision Support Systems develops first-of-a-kind tasking, collection, processing, exploitation, and dissemination systems for national security missions. We design, develop, and deploy large networked computing systems that push the state-of-the-art in data processing throughput and real-time action and response. Our research, development, and engineering efforts are focused in areas such as advanced computing architectures, coordinated tasking and control, multi-mission scheduling optimization, supervised and unsupervised classification techniques, multi-spectral phenomenology and characterization, decision and information theory, and activity-based intelligence. We fundamentally develop and improve the way sensing systems customers make decisions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.