Sandia National Laboratories R&D Manager - Reentry Systems Arming and Fuzing Subsystems in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Reentry Systems Arming and Fuzing Subsystems is seeking a Manager, R&D Science and Engineering to lead department 2343, W88 ALT 370 AF&F. Group 2340 conducts engineering activities for the development of arming and fuzing subsystems for the nation’s land and sea-based nuclear deterrents. Current activities in the Group include design, development and integration work supporting the W88 0/Mk5 ALT 370 and W87/Mk21. Specific activities being conducted by Group 2340 include:
- Requirements development and management
- Subsystem design, development and integration
- Environmental testing and functional verification
- Primary interface for the KCNSC production agency
- Primary interface for the component development organizations
The W88-0/Mk5 ALT 370 Program effort includes replacing the Arming, Fuzing, & Firing assembly of the W88, adding a lightning arrestor connector, and qualifying the weapon system to DoD requirements including system-level qualification of CHE-Refresh. Group 2340 provides the MC5000 arming, fuzing and firing (AF&F) Subsystems to Group 2330, Reentry Systems Development for integration into the W88-0 /Mk5 ALT 370 reentry system.
The MC5000 design and development activities include the integration of multiple components, including the electrically coupled stronglink (ECSL), magnetically coupled stronglink, launch accelerometer (LA), firing subsystem (FSS), thermal battery assembly (TBA, consisting of the long life thermal battery and reentry thermal battery), terminal protection device (TPD), missile
The selected manager will collaborate with the other W88 ALT 370/940 managers in the Reentry Systems Development Group (2330) and the Reentry Arming and Fuzing Subsystems Group (2340) to deliver the MC5000 AF&F to the W88 ALT 370 system.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Exercise strong leadership by influencing people and providing purpose, vision and motivation, while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization.
- Attract, motivate and develop technical staff.
- Advance the organizational capacity, structure, processes and norms.
- Collaborate as a member of the 2330/2340 Management Team.
- Have primary accountability for development and pre-production activities leading to the AF&F first production unit and Design Agency oversight of ongoing production.
- Manage cost scope and schedule for the AF&F Control Account.
- Collaborate with component development organizations.
- Be the primary interface to the KCNSC production agency. Demonstrate and instill partnership mindsets and behaviors while leading the team through challenging issues.
- Cultivate strong and productive relationships with our NNSA NA-19 Federal Program Manager interface and NAVY Strategic Systems Programs.
Some travel will be required
- A Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline
- An advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in science or engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Eight years of relevant experience
- Active and ability to maintain a US DOE Q security clearance
- 2 years leadership experience
- Previous line leadership experience
- Strong leadership skills
- A solid technical foundation
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with program and line organizations within the nuclear weapons community at Sandia, NNSA, DoD, and across the Nuclear Security Enterprise as a whole
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced high-pressure environment
- Experience in technical program/project management functions, including defining program work scope, schedules, budgets, priorities, and performance milestones; developing cost, scope, and schedule baselines; and managing change control and risk
- Experience and demonstrated high performance in one or more ND technical mission areas;
- Ability to create a vision and lead teams to fulfill the vision
- Previous experience working with NNSA (NA-12/NA-19) and/or Navy Strategic Systems Programs
- Strong customer focus and desire to build teams of people to capitalize on opportunities to improve the operations of the ND program at Sandia
- Demonstrated ability and experience in working with all levels of staff and management at Sandia and customer organizations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Group 2340, Reentry Systems Arming and Fuzing Subsystems, conducts engineering activities for the development of arming and fuzing subsystems for the nation’s land and sea-based nuclear deterrents. Current activities in the Group include design, development and integration work supporting the W88 0/Mk5 ALT 370 and W87/Mk21. Specific activities being conducted by Group 2340 include:
• Requirements development and management
• Subsystem design, development and integration
• Environmental testing and functional verification
• Primary interface for the KCNSC production agency
• Primary interface for the component development organizations
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT