Sandia National Laboratories R&D Manager - Electrical Computer Aided Design in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Manager, R&D Science and Engineering to lead Department 2279 which provides Electrical Computer Aided Design (ECAD) engineering and design services to support Nuclear Deterrence (ND) by creating schematics, layout printed wiring boards and procuring printed wiring assemblies.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide the full suite of design definition products and services for system level ND and other’s designs.
- Maintain a close partnership with the Electrical Design and Document Management department (2273) in California to balance workloads and share tools and processes.
- Be a vital member of the 2270 leadership team that establishes the strategic direction for Design Engineering.
- Develops the solutions that improve the efficiency of design processes to increase responsiveness to customer design needs.
As the manager, you will work closely with customers in the ND system, subsystem, component, and surveillance organizations to understand their requirements and insure that you meet design requirements.
- Bachelor’s and advanced degree (Master's or PhD) in a relevant STEM discipline; or Bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline plus 4 years relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree
- 8 years relevant experience
- Experience with ECAD design tools (such as Mentor Graphics, AutoCAD, etc.) and processes
- 2 years demonstrated management, program management, and/or leadership experience
- Active US DOE Q-level security clearance, or active equivalent
- Record of managing and/or leading process improvement efforts
- Proven ability to lead complex technical projects
- Understanding and/or experience in nuclear deterrence design definition processes including familiarity with realize product procedures (RPPs)
- Knowledge of ND systems, subsystems and components
- Previous experience as a PRT (Product Realization Team) lead or member
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the development and delivery of presentations, proposals, reports, and documentation
- Extraordinary social skills in developing trust-based relationships with staff, customers, and peers
Design Engineering provides mechanical and electrical design definition services for our weapon and non-weapon customers. The design staff in organization 2270 is involved in all aspects of the life-cycle design process from model creation through simulation and analysis. Design Engineering is also responsible for providing access to and configuration management of engineering information.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT