Sandia National Laboratories R&D Manager (06626) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation's security?
We are seeking a dynamic manager to join our diverse team. You will manage a team that performs research, engineering development, systematic analysis, and project coordination of access delay applications utilizing different types of physical barrier designs and activated dispensable materials. We are currently working with various offices within the DOE and DoD to ensure the protection of high value assets at fixed sites and in transportation within the United States and worldwide. We also support surety activities related to high-consequence fixed sites and transportation by conducting vulnerability assessments, related security evaluations, and attack testing for internal and external customers. We assess potential vulnerabilities to terrorist or other attacks using a wide variety of analysis tools such as ASSESS, table-top exercises, limited scope performance tests, and force on force exercises.
This position requires HRP certification.
On any given day, your management responsibilities will include:
- Management of a diverse department with some activity-level-work hazards with field and lab operations
- Working in a highly team-centric environment
- Meeting all task deadlines associated with vulnerability assessments and physical security associated with the Secure Transportation Program
- Confirmed ability to lead and motivate high performing staff
- You possess an advanced technical degree (Masters or PhD)
- You have 8 years professional technical experience
- Your background includes demonstrated experience with engineering design and development
- You can acquire and maintain HRP certification
- You have a current DOE Q clearance, or equivalent
Ideally, your background should also include:
- Background in structural analysis
- Familiarity with physical security concepts
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to team across the laboratory
- Demonstrated success in customer interaction
The Transportation Safeguards and Surety Program Office is responsible for providing systems integration, engineering design, and support for the NNSA, Office of Secure Transportation (OST). We are the design agency and provide engineering design, development, analysis, testing, and operational support to the SafeGuards Transporter, Safe Secure Trailer, Armored Tractors, Escort Vehicles, mobile communications, and the Transportation & Emergency Control Center. We are also responsible for all fiscal and technical aspects of SNL's program, assures that all projects are fully integrated and employ common quality principles across the program, and acts as the surety conscience for our NNSA customer.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD) to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.