Sandia National Laboratories R&D Laboratory Support Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Laboratory Support Technologist to support and conduct testing for a wide range of field experiments related to the development of nuclear fuel cycle technologies. These experiments span a wide range of physics that require a broad knowledge of technical disciplines that are needed to properly construct and conduct the tests. Your work will be conducted in close coordination with Sandia staff engineers responsible for their projects.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Support and conduct testing at a large test facility in technical disciplines including mechanical, electrical, fire, pressure, hydraulics, instrumentation, and data acquisition systems.
- Use and maintain a small machine shop that supports the building of test apparatus and fixtures.
- Exercise knowledge of ES&H principals, application of these principals, and oversight of all ES&H documentation associated with the test facility.
- High School diploma or equivalent plus at least 5 years of experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE L or Q-level security clearance
- Demonstrated experience over a wide range of field testing
- Demonstrated knowledge of various testing instrumentation
- Demonstrated experience welding of various metals
- Demonstrated experience in general machining including mills, lathes, and drill presses
- Bachelor's in a STEM discipline
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the technical disciplines described in “What Your Job Will Be Like”
- Demonstrated ability to convert corporate ES&H requirements into specific site and project documents
- Demonstrated ability in development and maintenance of all site records
- Experience with LabVIEW data acquisition software for the purposes of both telemetry and telecommand
- Demonstrated experience with programming logic
- Demonstrated experience with computer aided design and drafting software
- Ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment and in a team environment.
- Flexibility in job assignments and good writing skills
The Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycle Technologies Department conducts R&D and applied technology development to find solutions for technical and safety issues associated with the use of nuclear materials in nuclear fuel cycles and space applications, and R&D related to transportation and storage of nuclear wastes from commercial facilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.