Sandia National Laboratories R&D, Laboratory Support Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Laboratory Support Technologist to join our team!
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Support the daily operations of one or more projects within the Primary Standards Lab.
- Apply knowledge, experience and technical aptitude in measurement science and the related systems, equipment, methods, and procedures.
- Team with other PSL engineers and technologists to solve measurement and quality issues.
- Support research for the development of new measurement technologies, techniques and procedures.
- Operate and maintain precision electro-mechanical calibration systems, processing measurement data, performing error analysis, generating certificates and reports.
- Bachelor's or associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or closely related STEM discipline or 8 or more years of experience working with high-precision test and measurement equipment may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience operating and maintaining electro-mechanical equipment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” Clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Motivated self-starter who can work independently and with a team.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to apply knowledge and ideas to solve engineering problems
- Experience with a broad application of instruments, assemblies, standards, and systems.
- Experience working within a rigorous quality system in a lab environment.
- Desire to learn new skills as required and develop expertise in areas that may be unfamiliar.
- Experience using LabView, Python, or Visual Basic
- Experience with ISO 17025, Z540, QC-1 or other quality assurance programs.
- Experience in developing methods, processes, technical work documents and procedures.
- Experience working with high-precision scientific measurements and calibrations
- Experience with statistical methods of analysis and measurement uncertainty
- Current/active DOE “L” or “Q” clearance.
The Primary Standards Lab (PSL) is an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory providing metrology support to the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA). Calibrations supported by the PSL include electrical, microwave, flow, acceleration, shock, humidity, leaks, vacuum, radiation, optics, temperature, mass and dimensional measurement. The PSL maintains a wide variety of measurement expertise and consults on technical problems, calibrates reference standards, conducts research and development on measurement science and assists in the technical oversight of the DOE/NNSA Nuclear Weapons Complex contractor standards laboratories. The overall calibration program is accredited by the NIST National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.