Sandia National Laboratories R&D Laboratory Support Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Laboratory Support Technologist for the Quality and Operations of the Primary Sandia Standards Lab (PSL) at Sandia National Laboratories.
Are you passionate about using your research and development skills to craft creative solutions to challenging security problems? Do you seek to create new ways to provide assistance to develop advanced technologies? Join this dynamic team if you are interested in a rewarding career working on creative and innovate solutions that will have a lasting impact on the problems impacting the nation. If chosen, you will be expected to have the technical capability and/or experience in metrology spanning a broad range of measurement areas, systems and equipment, methods, and procedures.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Contribute to the design of gauges and fixtures during design reviews.
- Approve calibration certificates in Maximo via the Work Quality Approval (WQA) process outlined in the PSL Operations Procedure.
- Develop and certify CMM software programs.
- Develop training programs and procedures and train peers and apprentices in mechanical measurements.
- Perform measurement uncertainty and formally document (via the calibration certificate) results for the customer.
- Develop new calibration processes and new calibration methods in mechanical measurements.
- Develop measurement uncertainty budgets to address suitable calibration procedures.
- Develop and build a wide variety of laboratory M&TE and interfaces this equipment for data acquisition as part of the certification process.
- Associates Degree in STEM field or 5+ years experience in Dimensional Metrology.
- Skill and knowledge in dimensional metrology, measurement uncertainty, and calibration processes.
- An advanced understanding of metrology concepts and their application to lab and on-site calibrations.
- An advanced understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) related to gauge and fixture design.
- Graduate or completion of apprenticeship program in mechanical measurements or relevant field.
- GD&T Certification.
- Calibration or Mechanical Measurement Lab experience.
Department 9141, PSL Quality and Operations, provides daily operational support to the entirety of the Primary Standards Labs; including IT, logistics, customer support and all other operational support functions. In addition, Department 9141 provides quality and measurement assurance support and expertise while leading the technical oversight of the DOE/NNSA Nuclear Weapons Complex contractor standards laboratories.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.